Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me what to work on

Rob D

I'm an A class shooter and I'm working my ass off to improve right now. I'm coming back from a long break and this was my first match in about a year and a half. I've reached a point that I'm not sure where the low hanging fruit is. I know there is still plenty to improve on, but I'm not sure which skills need the most attention and what I should be spending my dry-fire time on. Any help is appreciated. Be merciless.

https://youtu.be/NhQim8ts01Y

On the next one, I forgot a reload and had to do one flat footed. That definitely cost me a couple of seconds at least.

https://youtu.be/bkl_gE6cBto

https://youtu.be/ZjYzkPcp6b4

Thanks Mike. Been trying to work on my accuracy lately. It seems like I can either poor on the gas and risk getting a little wild with my hits, or reign it in and shoot consistent points but a little more slowly. I did the latter at old fort and didn't even drop a delta all day, but my times show it. Anything specific you think I should practice to work on getting my hits while shooting faster?

Edited by Rob D

Aside from the break in shooting, I'm in the same boat: A-class guy working hard towards M and looking for what to work on....my areas for improvement are a little more obvious than yours it seems. ;)

Your movement is quick enough. How did your time stack up against your competitors? Are you calling your shots and are you *really* (be honest) seeing your front sights through every shot cycle? This is something I'm working on, that's why I bring it up.

Great run though. Reloads were lightning fast!

My times were pretty decent, but not amazing. I was 1-3 seconds behind the fastest times for most stages. I think my movement could be a lot more efficient and a lot more explosive. I do call my shots, and I try to see the front sight on every single shot so I can consistently know where my hits are, but that's a skill where I lost some ground while taking a break. I've been working on it in live fire practice and it's starting to come back, but I think shot calling is one of the most perishable skills we use. It will probably take a few months of consistent practice and club matches to get back to seeing the sight rise and fall on every shot.

Thanks for the help. Good luck with M class!

This is what I see in the first video…..

In the first shooting position the shooting seems to be a lot slower than it should given the distance to the targets and them being fully open targets. You also “Setup” your stance in the position with your natural point of aim centered on the far left target. This makes you lean to the left to get to the far right target. In target arrays like this you need to set your stance for the target keeping you pinched/stuck in the shooting position. Since you are still loading your gun after you get into the position you could have just as easily engaged the tight, right target first then shot the string right to left. Doing this would allow you to exit the position a lot more aggressively as well. Watch your stance as you finish the first shooting position, your right foot is up on a tippy toe and you have to drop down and shuffle your feet before you can launch out of the position. You probably gave away at least a second in stage time due to setting up on the wrong target and then needing to shuffle around before leaving the position.

You run to the second position aggressively which is good and have the gun up and ready to blast before getting into the position which is also good. But then you take a narrow stance in the position and this leads to some shuffle steps to get to all of the targets. You would have been better off to take a wider stance in this position so you can shoot all of the targets without needing to shuffle around. The misses on steel are time expensive. You need to think of each miss on steal costing at least half a second in stage time. With that in mind, if you simply allow the sights to settle on the steel for .05 - .10 longer to guarantee a hit then shoot the steel one for one, you are better off than chainsawing at them and needing several makeup shots to take them all down.

The last position is you waste a lot of time in transitions because you intentionally circumvent your stance. Look at your left foot, its up on a tippy toe. Any time your stance results in this type of situation you completely kill your ability to transition between targets aggressively with your legs. This forces you to transition between targets with your arms, which is a lot slower and less accurate than using your legs. Listen to your shooting cadence in this final string, it is “boom, boom…………..boom, boom…………..boom, boom”. With the proper stance so you can use your legs to transition. The shooting and transition cadence should sound like one continuous string of fire. Your Target to target transitions on this string of targets is in the .40 - .50 range. They should be in the .25 - .30 range. Yet more donation of time.

All told you probably gave away 3 – 4 seconds in stage time on using ineffective Tippy Toe shooting stances, setting up on the wrong targets, shuffling feet in positions, and missing steel.

The CHA-LEE Free Trial of “Fix my shooting for me video review” is now over. I have identified several areas of improvement that you can easily fix. If you are having issues with resolving them on your own, find a local trainer to work with to help you fix these issues. As you can see, at your skill level, there isn’t one huge component that you are screwing up. It’s a bunch of small things that all add up. This game is a death by a thousand little cuts. All we can do is fix one small cut at a time.

Edited by CHA-LEE

take a class from Seeklander (he's in your neck of the woods) or Stoeger or Anderson. At the end of the 2 days I'll guarentee you'll know exactly what you need to do to make master ...... best money you'll ever spend .... or you can continue to hope that someone points you in the right direction (Cha-Lee's comments not withstanding)

Thanks to both of you guys for advice. Cha-Lee actually told me the same thing you did in PM, Nimitz. I've got some training arranged with another GM, but I should probably get in touch with Mike Seeklander and set something up. I feel like Charlie just gave me a lot to work on(like drinking from a fire hose). I practiced setting up in a wide stance on various arrays for about an hour last night. I'm sure it will take me at least a couple months of practice to get consistent on that, but I'm happy to have a direction to push myself in.

As always, this forum is amazing. You guys have all been a lot of help. Thanks again. :bow:

Edited by Rob D