Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Debris under plate effecting primers?

Was running a large batch of 9 mm yesterday and had my first primer go in sideways....powder went everywhere . Started checking the next couple of primers and they looked like they had "dimples" in them and were distorted.......first time.

Readjusted the shell plate and while I was at it short light compressed air under and around the plate...a surprising amount of powder came out. Is it possible that powder was lodged under the plate or around the primer disc causing primer problems??......After readjustment and cleaning primers seemed ok. Thoughts ???

And while I'm boring you guys........I had my first " bad " run on primers on a previous load session. Using CCI sm .pistol primers on 9 mm reloads and I thought I checked all my reloads in my100 round case guage.

When I went to the range I had a 40% FTF.......primers were all screwed up....most sitting to high but most were FTF and the primers had a good clean strike.....this was depressing....my worst run ever.....what did I do wrong...bad primers, improper seating, not holding my mouth right, music to loud. Testing a new run tomorrow........thanks .........

What press are you using? It sounds like you had too many things going on at once. You need to pull the plate and priming system apart and clean and readjust. It sounds like you only shot the air around the plate and didn't take it off the press. High primers come from a loose shell plate, an improperly adjusted primer system, not fully seated due to crimped brass or you were short stroking and not fully seating the primer. Having some debris that marks the primer happens all the time but shouldn't cause a high primer. FWIW you should not have gone to the range with that ammunition without checking it first. Slow down and take things one step at a time.

I had that going on with my 650. I had some going in with difficulty, some had dimples. I looked at my primer ram, and there was some media caked on it. I had been using a crushed walnut that caked (cat litter rather than lizard litter). I cleaned my ram and the press and those problems got much better.