Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Draw times

SRT Driver

My best at 10 yards with my S&W 5904 is 1.4.

I've done 1.1 with my 1911 at the same distance, although I rarely get below 1.5 now.

I use nearly identical holsters (kydex belt holsters). The difference is that it takes me a bit longer to get my finger into position and work the trigger with the double action gun, so it's not the draw per se, but firing the first shot that takes longer.

On a 3 yard target 1.1 - 1911 govt, leather owb holster

On a 10 yard target 1.3

Going full out not caring where I hit, <1.0

I am new at IDPA shooting and I am realizing that a 1.5 draw time with hitting your target will get you in the top of the scores. It's those misses that tear you up.

D :P

After 2 months in the game normal = 1.7 to 1.5. When I push just a little and the grip hits rights I can go to 1.3. Fastest ever on a 7 yard target with a -1 or C zone = 1.16. I have hit that exact time three times now and that is the wall for me. One day I will get it under 1 second, but right now I can't.

Clay1, Overhung, 9MX, & anybody else that is doing 1.50+ draws...

I am certain that you are giving up a good quarter second or more, and that you could gain that with "better" technique. (That is the way it was for me...and everybody else that I can think of.)

There is lots of information of draws around here (and in Brian's book, and Burketts material). I won't go into the draw here...and drift this thread (if you want to improve...the info is out there, for sure). I would suggest you take a look at what your weak hand is doing...that should be a good starting point.

Flex, thanks for the encouragement. I own Matt's #5, the IDPA one; but have to order 1-4 soon. I already own Brian's book. I know that everyone love's Brian's book, but bluntly I found it very difficult reading. I read fine by the way. I'm a college grad, but I found it difficult to focus and read it. I gave up after the first two chapters. I'm sure it would do me good to read it, I just can't seem to get through it. I'll read it one day, I hope. So many people say it is great that I should try again, but it just doesn't seem to agree with me for whatever reason.

OK, brace for huge flames. I'm not cutting on the book by the way, it has a ton of meat in it, but I just can't seem to chew it. Anyone else have this same problem? Any tips on how to approach this book differently the next time that I try?

I'd read it like a scoffer. Pretend Brian doesn't know anything, and you are reading it to make a list of all the bullcrap and errors you find in it so that you can warn other shooters about it. Be very critical. I'd take notes so I'd have documentation of the things I disagreed with.

However you manage to read it, I think you'll find it tremendously beneficial in the end, with all of your notes on a 3x5 index card. Heck, you've made me want to read it again!

I just got the book yesterday and just started reading it. Depending on your background of reading it can be difficult/different to read. Myself being in Software it is mainly technical reading that I do, so it is a *different* style of writing.

What works for me: Dont try to read too much. Read some then take a day or 2 to consume what you read. Maybe even try to apply what you just read....

...i think i know the culprit ..practice :(

Yeah...practice is important, but I wnat to make sure I'm getting the right message thru...there is, most likely, some technique issues that you will want to address.

If yuo get the technique figured out...you won't have to trail-and-error it so much in practice.

... but I found it difficult to focus and read it.

...I just can't seem to get through it. I'll read it one day, I hope.

...it just doesn't seem to agree with me for whatever reason.

Any tips on how to approach this book differently the next time that I try?

It is a different read than some other stuff). I'm not sure that it is something you can just "get through".

The info needs to be digested in small chunks.

I like to read a paragraph or two (sometimes, just a few lines), then try to figure out why the author took the bother to write those words.

New Racer,

During the first read, BE's book is difficult. Keep am open mind, however.

Read the book at face value, and then go practice. See how you do things then apply what you read about. Then it makes perfect sense. All of the concepts may not apply right away but, over time, you can develop a better understanding the ideas then decide if they work for you.

Yeah...practice is important, but I wnat to make sure I'm getting the right message thru...there is, most likely, some technique issues that you will want to address.

yup. i hear ya :D

New Racer,

During the first read, BE's book is difficult. Keep am open mind, however.

Read the book at face value, and then go practice. See how you do things then apply what you read about. Then it makes perfect sense. All of the concepts may not apply right away but, over time, you can develop a better understanding the ideas then decide if they work for you.

Yeah, good points SRT! I am sure after reading the first few chapters multiple times, combined with more shooting and practice it will all fall together.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I first read Brian's book fairly early in my USPSA shooting career, and although I immediately realized it was great stuff, I also came to realize that there was a lot in there that I wasn't really ready for-- things that I thought I understood, or I did understand intellectually but not experientially. Since then I've occasionally had these epiphanic moments where I'm shooting and I suddenly think "Aha! So THAT'S what he meant!" And I've been glad that I'd read the book earlier. So even if you don't get it all the first time, I think it's a good idea to get it all down, and then let it slowly digest, as it were. ;)

To drift the thread back toward where it started... I think Jake's right, that Production draw times can be about as fast as in any other division. Lately I've been able to hit .7x's on close targets, .8x's at ten yards or so (my best 10 yd. A is .80); but those sorts of times are (for me at least) only useful in real hosefests. Shooting at a match I'll slow down to, say, .90's for close work, 1.15 for 10 yarders, 1.35 or so on steel.

. Since then I've occasionally had these epiphanic moments where I'm shooting and I suddenly think "Aha! So THAT'S what he meant!" And I've been glad that I'd read the book earlier. ....

yup, i sometimes experience those kind of moments B)

Today was the first time ever that I broke 1 second on a draw and hit. The target was about 4 yards away and I noticed that my arm was more relaxed to begin with than other range sessions. I didn't beat it by much but .97 is still under 1 second and that was one of my short term goals. At 10 yards I am up around 1.5 to 1.6 for and A hit still and some of these still hit the C zone. It's going the right direction though.

I also started a shooter's log to chronicle some of my experiences, trials and at this time small epiphanies.

Thanks Brian for hoisting a web page where the average guy can read and work at getting better while lending an ear to much more experienced shooters.