Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

240 Machine gun Brass Safe to reload?

HarryGieb

So I happened by some once fired machine gun brass from a M240H (300-400 pieces). Noticed a small 1/8 in crescent about an 1/8 in below the shoulder on the case wall. Any experience with this kind of brass for reloading?

I don't know about 240 brass, but my galil dents the case half way down

I just reload them, the next firing, fire forms the case, (blows the dent out)

And that's how I keep track of how many times that brass has been fired

There is no such thing as Military Match brass. LC Match is made to the same specs as all LC. If you want precision brass and you are attempting to use MG fired brass you are starting all kinds of wrong. If you want match brass buy Lapua. Nothing you do to that WCC brass is going to make it Lapua.

There is no such thing as Military Match brass. LC Match is made to the same specs as all LC. If you want precision brass and you are attempting to use MG fired brass you are starting all kinds of wrong. If you want match brass buy Lapua. Nothing you do to that WCC brass is going to make it Lapua.

That depends on your interpritation or definition of what Match Brass happens to be related to the game. Ive been using LC once fired brass as my base for match ammo for years of 3-gun competition. It has given me sub MOA accuracy and superb reliability, results downrange rivaling some of the best "Match" ammo I've found commercially. Lapua would be a huge waist of money for my match ammo. Now, if I were shooting 1000 yard high power events, perhaps my needs would warrant the Lapua brass.

I would first inspect that brass for other defects. I would also case gauge some of them before resizing to get a feel for how much stretching might have occurred. If they fit the case gauge pretty well or perfectly, I would use them with out worry.

Military .308 match brass tells me its "Match" because that's what the case says. Its still made to the same spec as other LC brass. It also has little marks on the case 1/4 way up from the base.

Case capacity, case weight, neck thickness and run-out variations will all be very greater with WCC MIL brass then it will be compared to WIN or LAPUA brass.

If you are shooting 3G then the brass will be fine. If you are a new NRA HP shooter with a bolt gun or semi auto the brass will be fine. If you are an Expert of better NRA XC or LR shooter buy some commercial brass.

Edited by dauntedfuture