Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson CRP 3 gun 2011 or Hayes custom 2011

XtReMe90

Thoughts on if the extra money is worth spending for a custom 2011. I'm just gonna use it as a 3 gun blaster and would most likely upgrade the grips to Pheonix Trinity aggressives... How hard of a job is that to do as well?

Edited by XtReMe90

I'm no expert, but I went with a Hayes custom for a 3gun 9mm build that is ongoing. Wanted to be able to get it set up the way I wanted with the frame I wanted with a slide/frame fit together carefully, with the parts I want from the start instead of piecing things together on top of a standard build. Wanted the gun ready to go once it I got it, instead of having a standard off-the-shelf gun more or less that I already knew didn't have some of the config/parts I wanted. Plus I wanted some Cerakote and nitride finish work done that Hayes can integrate to the build.

I've felt Hayes trigger work, and again I'm no expert, but it is impressive instead of basically a standard off-the-shelf build. Also, Hayes is local to me and I see them at local matches frequently, so I can learn/bounce things off of them. (Dawson is only a little farther away to be fair, and I love their sights.)

Again, I'm no expert since this is my first custom, and I haven't owned a 2011 before.....just shot and borrowed others'.....so, that is my two cents FWIW.

Can you use and win with a CRP? Yes.

Are you going to upgrade the CRP? Seems like it.

Is it worth it to go custom to begin with? If you have the money go for it.

Most people I know that upgraded the parts on a factory gun usually with tell you when it's all over and done with that they would have come out ahead if they went custom from the start. You only what you want and need that having spares in a box.

Hope this helps.

i'm just a mid-pack guy but got a sti 9mm eagle a year ago for 3 gun, idpa and steel and really love it. got the dawson crp and trigger/reliability pkg. i got a similar pkg'd .40 edge from brazos for uspsa limited and love that also. both are super accurate and super reliable. i could afford a custom and unfortunately am accustomed to waiting for builds, but don't regret the decision to get these over custom guns at all. that said, if you have some time and a few extra grand sitting around, sure you won't be disappointed and it's nice to get exactly what you want.

Go woth the Hayes gun, you will spend the initial difference in price changing out the little things on the STI. Aaron is one hell of a builder, I dont own one of his 2011s but he did my M2 for me and I have shot a few local matches with him and if it wasnt for dealer pricing on my DVC he would be building my 2011 right now.