Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong Hand Knuckle Bumps Ambi-Safety

Rob D

I got a Dawson "CRP" Edge a while back after shooting Glocks for several years. On a few occasions, I've had issues with disengaging the safety in matches. It's usually when I'm trying to get a really fast draw like in a classifier or speed shoot. When it's happened, I've just regripped the gun and then disengaged the safety, but last night in dry-fire I realized what's actually happening. My right hand it getting so high on the gun that the first knuckle on my trigger finger is keeping the safety from disengaging. Is this common? Is there a better safety that sits higher on the gun? I was watching a video with Bob Vogel last night in which he talked about shaving his ambi-safety down on the right side. Is than an option if mine has already been hard-chromed or will grinding it down ruin the part? I couldn't care less about the way it looks. I just need it to function.

I'm new to 1911's in general so any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Also, if this has already been discussed at length, feel free to link past threads. I've searched but haven't found much.

Edited by Rob D

I put 45 degree tapers on my safeties to make them more comfortable. If you're shooting a thumb-over-safety grip as you should be, this should really be causing you some pain.

I am definitely shooting thumb-over-safety, and yes, it hurts a little. I'm getting a callus on my trigger finger first knuckled because it gets pinched when I force the safety down with my thumb.

Please have someone take a photo of you with your grip up close...

I'll post one this afternoon. Thanks!

Edited by Rob D

The same thing was happening to me: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209963&hl=

I ended up grinding almost half of the the strong side safety off with a belt sander. Then a little touch up with the head blaster and you can't tell a difference. Fits my hand much better now

Yeah, my hand looks a lot like yours does in your picture. I think I'll take the dremel to it tomorrow night. What's "the head blaster"? My safety is hard chromed too and my best idea was to throw some cold blue on it after polishing.

Why do you feel you need a ambi if you are a Right Handed shooter? I only run strong side safeties and hate everything about ambi's :-). Ambi safeties will eventually break and if they do they can down your gun for the match. Now if your Lefty they are kind of a must :-)

Why do you feel you need a ambi if you are a Right Handed shooter? I only run strong side safeties and hate everything about ambi's :-). Ambi safeties will eventually break and if they do they can down your gun for the match. Now if your Lefty they are kind of a must :-)

I am a lefty. But there are a bunch of classifiers that require weak hand shooting, so I think most people would want them on a competition gun......

safeties_zpsdrm76mkk.jpg

I am a lefty. But there are a bunch of classifiers that require weak hand shooting, so I think most people would want them on a competition gun......

safeties_zpsdrm76mkk.jpg

Maybe weak hand shooting, but not weak hand drawing. I've never run into a situation where I had to draw with my weak hand. Draw with your strong, switch to your weak, and swipe safety with your either. Even a table start can be managed without an ambi-safety.

safeties_zpsdrm76mkk.jpg

Maybe weak hand shooting, but not weak hand drawing. I've never run into a situation where I had to draw with my weak hand. Draw with your strong, switch to your weak, and swipe safety with your either. Even a table start can be managed without an ambi-safety.

The issue with having or not having an ambi safety isn't being able to take it off safe, it's keeping it from being bumped onto safe during recoil....and the thumb over grip helps control recoil.

The same thing was happening to me: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209963&hl=

I ended up grinding almost half of the the strong side safety off with a belt sander. Then a little touch up with the head blaster and you can't tell a difference. Fits my hand much better now

Yeah, my hand looks a lot like yours does in your picture. I think I'll take the dremel to it tomorrow night. What's "the head blaster"? My safety is hard chromed too and my best idea was to throw some cold blue on it after polishing.

*bead blaster. mine was a matte finish and after I whittled on it the finish was shinier. The bead blaster made it look like it was before

I grip an STI higher than just about anybody. I have really bony hands and I ran into the same issue. My solution was to go with SV safeties which my gunsmith reshaped to accommodate my knuckle. You'll notice that the rear of the safety is cut much like Trace's. The underside is also beveled to reduce contact. I'll try to post a pic of that soon.

post-8564-0-91993600-1427560874_thumb.jp