Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match goes to half-cock every round,and a question for the gurus

kirkcdl

I just got an Elite Match in 9mm,and the hammer goes to half-cock every round.I got it used,and I'm certain it has a relatively high round count.What do I need to fix or replace?There's not enough momentum to fire from this position,so I have to manually cock the hammer every round...

Also,what spring do I change to bump up the trigger pull weight?I had an EM in .40 years ago,but this new-to-me gun has a trigger that's too light for my comfort,I'd like to add 2 lbs or so...

Thanks in advance,all...

Ok,to add some info-when the hammer fully cocked,I can push the hammer forward to half-cock with my finger,but to get it to move beyond that I have to pull the trigger...Could that mean the sear is worn out?Or the sear spring?

Edited by kirkcdl

Ok,to add some info-when the hammer fully cocked,I can push the hammer forward to half-cock with my finger,but to get it to move beyond that I have to pull the trigger...Could that mean the sear is worn out?Or the sear spring?

The sear sounds like its rounded off. If its a stock sear, that can happen fairly easily. Also if the overtravel screw is set too tight on the trigger, it will cause the sear to hit the hammer hooks when the hammer goes down and that will round the edge of the sear off.

Okay,did that,cvincent,didn't notice any contact,but I did notice that when I just rack the slide the hammer follows the slide to half-cock,so I'm thinking a rounded sear as Nealio said...SIGH...Guess I need to buy a sear...Now,can anybody tell me how to increase the trigger pull,or will a new sear take care of that?

Is that a SA only or DA/SA? You will probably notice some increase in trigger pull with a new sear and hammer. I guess it would depend on what's in the gun now. If it has lighter springs you could go to factory springs.

I have a limited SA only with all factory springs and a 2 lb trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay,did that,cvincent,didn't notice any contact,but I did notice that when I just rack the slide the hammer follows the slide to half-cock,so I'm thinking a rounded sear as Nealio said...SIGH...Guess I need to buy a sear...Now,can anybody tell me how to increase the trigger pull,or will a new sear take care of that?

Yeah get that new sear first. Right now it sounds like you have 0 resistance from the sear and hammer. If that's not enough, you can put a new hammer spring in it.

If you could get it on a trigger pull gauge and post the pull weight for us it would help us figure out what needs to be done.