Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One piece sear with Titan hammer

RobertLx

I installed a one piece sear, Titan hammer, and interrupter. The way it is right now, the sear barley raises and probably doesn't even touch the firing pin block. Also the safety doesn't work. I would need to remove a lot of material for the safety to work, and the FPB still wouldn't function.

So my question is this, can I file down the underside of the sear that drags along the hammer to get the sear to sit higher in the sear housing? If I take material from under the sear, it should allow the back of the sear to sit lower, and the front of the sear (FPB arm and safety cut out) to sit higher.

Has anyone done this?

I've read that the sear is only surface hardened, but I'm not filling the hammer hook part, just under it.

I have the extended FPB on the way. I won't make any adjustments until then, but the sear barley moves down when I squeeze the trigger. I'm not sure the extended FPB will move enough to actually function correctly.

Also, I was under the impression to fit the sear to the gun, not the gun to the sear.

Fit the sear to the safety. That how they were designed to be done. Plus I've never heard of someone needing to swap out a bad sear during a match...? If you're that worried about it, then fit 2 sears. :)

My concern isn't with the safety. That's the easy part. My concern is that the arm on the front of the sear doesn't raise enough to work the FPB. Even if I use the extended FPB, it won't move enough to work reliably. There is so little movement in fact, that I can't be sure if you just pushed hard enough on the FP, it might slip right by the FPB.

I agree with not modifying the safety. Fit 2 sears if you want a back up. Common practice in 1911s.

Here are some pics of the front arm of the sear that contacts the FPB.

The first pic is with the hammer cocked. In this position, the sear should be holding the FPB in the up (blocked) position.

The second pic is with the hammer down and trigger squeezed. In this position the sear arm is in the down position along with the FPB, allowing the FP to move freely.

I believe the amount that it moves isn't enough to block the FP.

Has anyone needed to shave the bottom of the sear that contacts the hammer?

post-30821-0-41020700-1426724303_thumb.j

post-30821-0-44353000-1426724316_thumb.j

I had a similar experience when I installed the xtreme hammer and one piece sear. The FBP wasn't pushing up (hammer back) enough to block the firing pin. I think, don't qoute me, my firing pin block measured .905, which wasn't long enough. Got the extended FPB which measured 1.015, again don't quote me , and fit perfectly once I took about .003 off. I took just a little off the bottom of the FPB, the side that touches the sear till I got perfect function