Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left lean shooting left?

MilkMyDuds

I am noticing at 15+ yards distance, my shoots always veer left significantly when I am shooting from behind cover from the left. This is true even when I am not shooting at speed, e.g. it happens even with 0.8 or 1 sec split. Interestingly, this does not happen when I am shooting from behind cover from the right. Right lean always right on POA.

I am right-handed. I am curious if this is common among right-handed shooters? If so, is there a way to train and correct this problem (besides trying to stay away from all left leans)?

Thanks.

Make sure you are using the same eye to shoot.

(?)

I have both eyes open all the time. This is why I am curious - is there an optical explanation for right-handed shooters to aim left when leaning hard left?

Edited by MilkMyDuds

• 2 weeks later...

I am noticing at 15+ yards distance, my shoots always veer left significantly when I am shooting from behind cover from the left. This is true even when I am not shooting at speed, e.g. it happens even with 0.8 or 1 sec split. Interestingly, this does not happen when I am shooting from behind cover from the right. Right lean always right on POA.

I am right-handed. I am curious if this is common among right-handed shooters? If so, is there a way to train and correct this problem (besides trying to stay away from all left leans)?

Thanks.

Yup, same here. Right handed, right eye dominant. I tend to shoot left when leaning left, but I'm fine when leaning right. I think it has to do with my wrists sort of bending inwards when leaning left around cover.

In my dry fire routine, I've started practicing trigger break, draws, and reloads while standing straight, leaning hard left, and leaning hard right, and it has helped a lot.

I've also found that it helps to turn my head very slightly to the left, which helps line up my dominant eye with the sights.

Edited by FTDMFR

I do the same thing, I always figured it was because my balance and strength are better leaning to the right (my strong side). Leaning to the left around a barrier is much harder for me to get a positive hold.

If you are canting the gun to shoot the gun will shoot left with a left cant and right with a right cant. If you want it to hit dead on it must be at a 90 to gravity. The sights angle the barrel up to accommodate for bullet drop at 90 to gravity so when it points left the barrel is pointing left.

Like M Gardner pointed out.

If the line dissecting the bore axis and sight plane is not perpendicular to the ground, you will see a POI shift. If you are canting the weapon, try holding it with the sights level with the deck and see what changes.

I like doing this while training, so I can mentally reinforce what happens when I cant the weapon. Close in it does not matter much, but at 25 yards and farther the POI will shift enough to make you want to pay attention to weapon cant.

• 3 weeks later...