Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why a ported barrel vs comp?

igolfat8

Why would you choose a ported barrel over a compensator or vice versa. I have searched and read threads on the physics and function of a comp but could not find any comparing the performance of a ported barrel vs a comp. Please share your experiences if you have used both and which one performed better at holding the muzzle rise down.

I do not have experience with a ported barrel, but I believe the answer lies in the application. From what I have read a ported barrel will give some benefits on recoil while allow for the use of a standard holster. When dealing with minor power factor, such as 3gun, this would provide sufficient recoil reduction. For major power factor a compensator will outperform a ported barrel, but can be combined to suit your personal preference. Regardless of the type or combination of recoil reduction measures, the barrel length will determine the the volume of powder required & how loud your report will be. The IPSC modified division, which I believe is no longer recognized, is the only circumstance in which a ported major PF gun would be practical.

My experiment was with 9mm, I started with a 6 inch barrel, put three ports into it about 1/2 inch from end of barrel. By the time I got the ports large enough to work, the accuracy was lost, cut the barrel and installed a comp, works great and had to lower the recoil spring by 2 pounds. So forget ports