Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

home Cerakote do-able

gzo

Follow the cerakote directions on soaking and out gassing, as of everything prep is the key. I don't do it in the house anymore (first time did it before I built a dedicated oven wife wasn't to happy), too much smell. I also have a small blast cabinet with dedicated media for clean blasting only, no oils or grease. After you blast or prep make sure you are wearing gloves so you don't contaminate your work. I have used a air brush and also a small hvlp depending on the size of the job. During one of my first jobs I did get a little water contamination through my air lines before I had a better filtration system for my compressor. One of the great little saver of that is the small disposable filter connected to your spray gun few dollar insurance for small amounts of condensation in the air line. Spray it wet but don't over coat it and get runs, you don't need a ton of coats but do look at you piece from all angles before you bake it unless you like to redo work. You also can go the route of air dry cerakote it holds up pretty well, I have a production gun that is finished with air dry, because I ordered the wrong product. Like I said prep is the key, don't cut corners. Feel free to pm if you have any questions and good luck

Cerakote is a little tough to do at hole unless you have the proper equipment. For a rifle barrel or something that isn't a rub part brownells alumahyde II isn't bad stuff for a home job and the prep work dosent need as much stuff and is used from a rattle can. For a pistol it isn't great as it rubs more than cerakote by far but for something like a rifle barrel that's not a run Part it works decent and isn't pricy

Follow the cerakote directions on soaking and out gassing, as of everything prep is the key. I don't do it in the house anymore (first time did it before I built a dedicated oven wife wasn't to happy), too much smell. I also have a small blast cabinet with dedicated media for clean blasting only, no oils or grease. After you blast or prep make sure you are wearing gloves so you don't contaminate your work. I have used a air brush and also a small hvlp depending on the size of the job. During one of my first jobs I did get a little water contamination through my air lines before I had a better filtration system for my compressor. One of the great little saver of that is the small disposable filter connected to your spray gun few dollar insurance for small amounts of condensation in the air line. Spray it wet but don't over coat it and get runs, you don't need a ton of coats but do look at you piece from all angles before you bake it unless you like to redo work. You also can go the route of air dry cerakote it holds up pretty well, I have a production gun that is finished with air dry, because I ordered the wrong product. Like I said prep is the key, don't cut corners. Feel free to pm if you have any questions and good luck

Which HVLP gun(s) do you have? What tips do you use? Thanks

If you follow the cerakote instructions it's not too bad. The main part is the prep work. The biggest issue is the start up costs involved. If you're only going to spray one or two barrels then just pay somebody to do it. There is a learning curve with the spraying part because most people tend to coat it too thick. All that being said, I manage to get by with the bare essentials and have produced some great work.

I haven't tackled anything big due to lack of large oven but I'be done some small stuff ( AR15 lowers, handguards, etc ) and it is not too hard. It is just spray painting. There are a couple of keys to any painting job and prep is at the top. The idea of multiple light coats vs one heavy is also key.

If you follow the cerakote instructions it's not too bad. The main part is the prep work. The biggest issue is the start up costs involved. If you're only going to spray one or two barrels then just pay somebody to do it. There is a learning curve with the spraying part because most people tend to coat it too thick. All that being said, I manage to get by with the bare essentials and have produced some great work.

Do you mind sharing what spray gun(s) you are using and what tips, if any? Especially for detail work getting into small tight areas and such? Thanks

What kind of oven are you guys using for the pistols/pistol parts? Can you just use one of the little table top ovens to make it a dedicated cerakote oven? I don't think the wife would be pleased to come home and see parts baking in her oven.

I use a spray gun by Central Pneumatic ( Harbor Freight ) that is a 4 oz gun with a 1.0 mm tip. It was cheap but seems to work just fine.

As for an oven, I use the kitchen one and it hasn't been an issue but my kitchen has really good ventilation.

I am using a Ingersoll Rand 200G touch up gun with a .8mm nozzle size. It has been a great gun for me, plenty of adjustments in the gun and sprays very flat. I have never had any issue's keeping it wet when I spray but have never had any issues with runs. The best part is that it's only like 50 bucks on amazon.

My oven is built out of a stack-on gun cabinet with some insulation I got off of amazon along with a 8 inch stove element. I bought a universal oven thermostat off eBay along with a BBQ thermometer to go on door. It's a pretty basic setup which cost about $225 to build. I have 2 racks in it so if I am doing a bunch of small parts and when I am doing long guns the bottom rack comes out. It holds temperature very well and the thermostat is also very accurate which surprised me to be honest. It only takes a few minutes to reach temperature and it's run off a 20 amp 220 circuit. Well worth the investment if you are going to do more then one or two guns. I will guarantee one thing, as soon as your friends see what you can do they will be wanting that good buddy discount.

For the Barrel you would probably use Air-Dry Cerakote that has a higher temp rating, it does need an oven and you need a very limited supply of materials to do it. Also VHT Header paint from auto parts stores ($10 a can) appears to have similar properties to the high heat cerakote.

Most of the work and results are in the Prep. The setup cost for me was buying a $8 Preval sprayer. I actually have HVLP and LVLP spray systems, but the Preval makes clean up so easy and the very thin cerakote is perfect for them. I've done a Glock, and number of AR-15 Recievers and parts, and Form 1 Silencers this way. Columbia coating sells the cerakote cheaper in smaller containers, the 2oz size is enough ($20) for most projects.

Preval sprayer with suppressor baffles:

e7jbjq.jpg

The Tungsten Glock slide on left

29n8nyc.jpg

Two black Form 1 suppressors

ogw2kz.jpg

Various Tungsten

2ykhon5.jpg

For those that have done the cerakote, which color and or prep matches a stainless steel gun best? Like if you were doing a 1911 frame and wanted it to look just like stainless. Not tring to match the top, it would be black.

I'm still on the cheap spray gun from cerakote. I used metal polish to lap the needle and tip together. I was too lazy to make a oven so I bought a electric smoker. The main things to keep in mind are prep, clean dry air, and run the mixed cerakote through a filter. Also, the bigger the oven the better. You want to keep the parts away from the heating element.

Edited by DRobson