Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Profile Slide Racker?

Rob D

I good friend of mine that spent 20+ years working as a game warden recently lost most of the function in his left hand in an accident. He's a big strong guy and he can shoot strong-hand pretty well, but he has a hard time racking the slide. He can manipulate his left hand somewhat and has full strength in his arm and shoulder, but has almost no grip strength so pinching the slide is tough.

A slide racker would be perfect, but the type we use in IPSC stick out too far and make it possible to carry the gun in a strong side IWB holster. Does anyone know of a slide racker or any other modification that would make it easier for him to rack the slide? I've been thinking about welding a steel ring to a glock slide cover plate so he could stick a finger in it and pull straight back. Have any of you guys seen or heard of a part or modification that would help him out?

NOTE: This is for a carry gun. I know we don't do tactical gunfighting mumbo jumbo here and I'm not trying to discuss that stuff. I'm just looking for a way to help my friend keep shooting. Thanks!

Edited by Rob D

Maybe he could do like I do and use the rear sight from a Tactical Sport as a slide racker:

cz-usa-cz-75-tactical-sport1.png

You can lay your left hand flat atop the slide and catch the rear sight with the side of your index finger; I have one of these on my SP01 Shadow Target as well as some of my Tanfoglios cut for the Super Sight rear. Otherwise, can he manipulate a wheel gun?

That's an idea. Would be similar to using the henning battlehook sights. I know he can shoot a wheel gun, but he carried a glock as a duty gun for a couple of decades so I think he's much more comfortable shooting semi-autos.

I was thinking of the one at wrightshooting.com. For some reason I can't link it on my phone right now.

You could also get a standard slide racker and machine it shorter. Some of the IPSC guys have done it on standard guns that need to fit the box.

What kind of gun does he shoot? If it actually is a glock, then the finger hole slide racker already exists. I have seen it used with great effectiveness by a youtube reviewer that doesn't have good hand mobility either. Might be an option.

Or one of the very short rackers like the springer precision EZ racker, mounted on the side away from the body?

::ETA:: found it:

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/151-TGR-G-SP.html

Edited by Gooldylocks