Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Primer strikes on MP 9mm CORE 5" barrel

pc13

I have a MP 9mm CORE with a 5" barrel, with Leupold Delta Point and an Apex Flat Faced trigger. 3k rounds through it and it works flawlessly.

Issue:

Light primer strikes after I added the 3 port Carver Comp and non-captured guide rod and 12 lb spring (wolf spring)

Help me understand after 300 rounds I got 8-10 light primer strikes. I tried the 15 lb factory spring and it did not work due to spent case not coming out fast enough as new round was trying to chamber. Appears that slide cannot fully go to the rear due to spent gases are going out the compensator.

Should I buy another guide rod and go with the 13 lb flat wire spring?

Any help would be appreciated. This is my open gun..tnks

My striker spring is factory. I had light primer strikes after installing the new Apex Flat Faced trigger kit? I don't think the Apex trigger is the problem because I have ran 3k rounds through it and no failure to fire or light strikes. This only occurred after I installed the 3 port Carver comp and 12 lb recoil spring...The carver comp kit came with a lighter striker spring. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Hopefully they (striker spring and recoil spring) will work together and not against each other. Finding the right combo.. it process of elimination...

Not sure how the striker looks in comparison to a Glock striker, but it may be possible to lighten your striker by drilling some small holes or removing some material. This will increase the speed at which it hits the primer and may be a solution. Another solution may be to remove some material from the front of the striker where it contacts the breechface in the striker channel which will allow the pointed part that actually contacts the primer to protrude more. Another thing to consider is that you may just need to clean the striker channel as it is probably very dirty after 3k rounds. I used to shoot an open Glock and these were the solutions for problems I had with that pistol from time to time. Good luck

My striker spring is factory. I had light primer strikes after installing the new Apex Flat Faced trigger kit? I don't think the Apex trigger is the problem because I have ran 3k rounds through it and no failure to fire or light strikes. This only occurred after I installed the 3 port Carver comp and 12 lb recoil spring...The carver comp kit came with a lighter striker spring. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Hopefully they (striker spring and recoil spring) will work together and not against each other. Finding the right combo.. it process of elimination...

You might need to adjust the timing of the trigger bar loop, if the timing for the striker block is off, it can cause light striker hits. Apex has a video of how to do it on their website. Are you shooting major or minor ammo, I find that 15# works well for major, and 11# for minor. Good luck :)

I'm minor right now..I will work up my loads for major..gonna test fire today with lighter striker spring from Carver Comp..

Are you talking about the striker spring or the recoil spring? If you indeed mean the striker spring, why would you put a lighter one in when you're having light strikes? (I run SSS extra power striker springs, but I use SR primers in my major loads)

Are you running the Carver Comp with factory rounds? I am for 9 minor, and it took a bit of trial & error to get it right. The 11lb ismi flat spring is stronger than the 12lb wolff. I found the 12 Wolff would barely keep it in battery, which would cause the light strikes when on the move in a match. I switched to the 11 flat spring and it runs solid. Note in the M&P that the recoil and striker springs fight against each other, so a lighter Wolff reduced power striker spring would also help in your case, but try the flat recoil spring first.

Yes I'm running 9 minor factory loads so far. I tried the Wolf 12 lb recoil spring and the Wolf striker spring that came in the kit with 3 port comp and KKM barrel from Carver Customs.

I shot 100 rds of 5.7 grains of power pistol and light primer strikes went away. At least so far..I will definitely know come match day later this month.

Yes my primers are fully seated. I check every round with Wilson's gauge. Then I check them again when they go in the 100 rd case standing each round with primer up.

My above post appears to be the fix..

Glad you got it running! I have an older 9 Pro that I had the slide lightened, and an RMR cut deep into the back. Once I installed the Carver Comp and KKM barrel, along with the Apex FSS trigger, I needed to play with the springs for use with factory rounds (minor). I have a full set of flat ISMI and round Wolff springs! Note for the Wolff spring set (recoil and striker), the included striker spring is standard power, I had to specifically order the reduced power Striker spring separately from Wolff.

Edited by fdc1999