Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting 2011 .40 to 10mm

SSGJohnV

Hi all,

I recently took possession of my new 2011 5" in .40 SW for my IDPA/carry/steel gun and I have some questions regarding converting it to 10mm.

Please refrain from the arguments for or against carrying a 2011 for personal protection. I have weighed all the options and am comfortable with it. I've trusted my 6" and before that a stock STI 5" Edge in competition for thousands of rounds and think its worth it.

Any how, I already load for .40 and have 10mm brass on hand, with a new KKM 5" bushing barrel en route to me and will be fitted by a competent gunsmith.

I have been doing my reading and understand about a heavier recoil spring (20-24#, correct?), but do I need to worry about anything else? I have both tuned 140mm mags for my race gun and 4 126mm mags that have been tuned but non-professionally. My current mags should feed and handle 10mm, correct? I load to 1.180 currently with .40 with no feed issues.

Is there any thing I'm missing from a gunsmithing point of view that I should consider before taking the plunge? Standard load practices of working up and taking it slow are going to be taken.

I would like this to be a hog gun/personal protection piece. Can't lie and say that 17+ of 10mm sounds like a good insurance policy.

Thanks for your input.

-John

• 2 weeks later...