Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered a CZ SP01!

GunBandit

Here's how I lower the hammer all the way down, which IMO is the safest way.

1. Put your weak hand thumb between the hammer and firing pin.

2. Cock the hammer back with your strong hand thumb so it takes all the spring pressure and pull the trigger.

3. Lower the hammer onto your weak hand thumb and release the trigger, now the firing pin block is engaged if you slip.

4. Lower the hammer onto half-cock with your strong hand thumb as you retract your weak hand thumb.

5. Pull back on the slide slightly until the slide contacts the hammer, but not so far back that it cocks it again, and pull the trigger.

6. If you have the slide back the right amount, the sear should release and the hammer should gently follow the slide down to fully decocked.

7. As a final step, I pull back slightly on the hammer again so that the FPB can engage again. It won't "click" in with the hammer pressure pushing the FP forward. This means the gun is now drop safe should it come out of your holster or you really screw up the draw.

It sounds complicated, but it's really not and after you do it a couple times, it's very quick and easy. It's a lot more stress free IMO, as there's virtually no way the gun can go off if you slip at any point.

What if your CZ doesn't have an FB? (I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, I'm new to CZs and for now I use my support hand to grasp the hammer to lower it but it makes me a bit nervous that I'll slip...and isn't that a DQ if you do an ND in an event?)

What if your CZ doesn't have an FB? (I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, I'm new to CZs and for now I use my support hand to grasp the hammer to lower it but it makes me a bit nervous that I'll slip...and isn't that a DQ if you do an ND in an event?)

Yeah, it's a DQ. Without a FPB, the procedure is much less complicated, although not as fool proof. I would still keep my off hand thumb in the way of the hammer as long as possible. You can hold the trigger down the entire way though, since it doesn't really matter without a FPB, and get the hammer all the way down in one step without stopping at half cock.

Here's how I lower the hammer all the way down, which IMO is the safest way.

1. Put your weak hand thumb between the hammer and firing pin.

2. Cock the hammer back with your strong hand thumb so it takes all the spring pressure and pull the trigger.

3. Lower the hammer onto your weak hand thumb and release the trigger, now the firing pin block is engaged if you slip.

4. Lower the hammer onto half-cock with your strong hand thumb as you retract your weak hand thumb.

5. Pull back on the slide slightly until the slide contacts the hammer, but not so far back that it cocks it again, and pull the trigger.

6. If you have the slide back the right amount, the sear should release and the hammer should gently follow the slide down to fully decocked.

7. As a final step, I pull back slightly on the hammer again so that the FPB can engage again. It won't "click" in with the hammer pressure pushing the FP forward. This means the gun is now drop safe should it come out of your holster or you really screw up the draw.

It sounds complicated, but it's really not and after you do it a couple times, it's very quick and easy. It's a lot more stress free IMO, as there's virtually no way the gun can go off if you slip at any point.

If you place either your support hand index finger or thumb lighlty on the hammer, pull the trigger, and slowly slip/roll your finger out of the way after the hammer stops, this will prevent an ND while manually decocking.

Edited by himurax13

Ok. So it has been a little while since I posted on this topic. I was able to put ~250 rounds down range yesterday with my new pistol. Overall it feels good and is pretty tame on recoil. I was shooting 147gr Xtremes over 3.4 grs of TG, my load for my G17. It seemed to run those ok. I shot a 7 shot group into maybe 2" at seven yards freestyle with 3 of those in the paster I was aiming at. The gun will perform so the shooter needs to get better. One thing I noticed is it seems to shoot a little low at 10 yards. No failures in those 250 rounds.

Discoveries:

double action will take some getting used to on the first shot (dry fire should remedy that)

Remember the safety. After shooting a Glock and just reholstering between drills I have to break that habit with this gun and lower the hammer.

The gun is sweet, runs smooth, little recoil flip.

I need to do the upgrades I mentioned earlier to improve the DA and SA, but it is not a game stopper as is.

I'm going to get some 124's and see how they feel and shoot vs the 147's. I have read on here that the guns are optimized for 124's, but that may not be the case. Every gun is a little different and shooters' preferences are different as well.

My Glock served me well and I still like them, but these CZ's will be in the front seat for a while.

Ok. So it has been a little while since I posted on this topic. I was able to put ~250 rounds down range yesterday with my new pistol. Overall it feels good and is pretty tame on recoil. I was shooting 147gr Xtremes over 3.4 grs of TG, my load for my G17. It seemed to run those ok. I shot a 7 shot group into maybe 2" at seven yards freestyle with 3 of those in the paster I was aiming at. The gun will perform so the shooter needs to get better. One thing I noticed is it seems to shoot a little low at 10 yards. No failures in those 250 rounds.

Discoveries:

double action will take some getting used to on the first shot (dry fire should remedy that)

Remember the safety. After shooting a Glock and just reholstering between drills I have to break that habit with this gun and lower the hammer.

The gun is sweet, runs smooth, little recoil flip.

I need to do the upgrades I mentioned earlier to improve the DA and SA, but it is not a game stopper as is.

I'm going to get some 124's and see how they feel and shoot vs the 147's. I have read on here that the guns are optimized for 124's, but that may not be the case. Every gun is a little different and shooters' preferences are different as well.

My Glock served me well and I still like them, but these CZ's will be in the front seat for a while.

I shot about 400 xtreme 147gr and 3.4gr of titegroup through my G34 and SP-01. They seem to shoot pretty well. I have a box of 100 of them left at 1.3OAL I will bench shoot a few and see what i get. I am on 147gr Black Bullet Internationals now