Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading 223

ghawk249

Prvi once fired boxer primed so far. I have a full case of Berdan primed GP11 that I'm hoping to trade for boxer primed brass as I shoot it. Otherwise I might have to start loading it. It's a fantastic cartridge.

bigedp51

All I use is the Lee trimmer...I hate it after about 20 pieces :angry2:

I'm looking to get something like the Giraud 3 Way or WFT soon.

I hear mixed reviews in regards to the Lee Quick Trim setup...part of me wants to gamble for half the price but not sure.

Right now I just do like 15-20 pieces at a time then go do something else. I just try to do a lil bit here and there.

Edited by JohnnyD

It works great if you have a spare drill press laying around. Very quick and accurate. I don't think I'd be so pleased with it if I were using it with a cordless drill like in some of the videos though.

Why not? Works fine for me and I've done over a 1000 cases so far.

This ain't Benchrest where every .001 of everything matters, you cannot shoot the difference in trim lengths, so don't get your panties all in a wad over it, Sinclairs sells chamber length gauges, I use them to determine my trim length, and trim .010 from the end of the chamber, some 6.5 Creedmoor brass never makes it that far and the primer pocket is toast, let's say it's not a conservative load, I use a Giraud Trimmer, fast easy accurate, and chamfers in/out, it is the Worlds Finest Trimmer, not the other.

It works great if you have a spare drill press laying around. Very quick and accurate. I don't think I'd be so pleased with it if I were using it with a cordless drill like in some of the videos though.

Why not? Works fine for me and I've done over a 1000 cases so far.

I didn't say that I'd refuse to use it with a cordless drill. Given the choice between a cordless drill with a WFT or an old lathe-type trimmer, I'd take the drill any day.

I was just saying that I'm very happy with the WFT and it was a logical choice since I already had a benchtop drill press right there. Had I not already had a drill press I might have at least looked at other, more expensive options.

bigedp51

I hear mixed reviews in regards to the Lee Quick Trim setup...part of me wants to gamble for half the price but not sure.

Right now I just do like 15-20 pieces at a time then go do something else. I just try to do a lil bit here and there.

Take a look at the Frankfoed Arsenal Platinum Case Prep Center. I was looking for one piece of equipment to do all of my case prep on and this fits the bill perfectly. On one of the four heads, I switch back and forth between attaching an RCBS primer pocket reamer and an RCBS primer pocket cleaner (tiny brush with metal bristles) depending on which I need at the time. It's not cheap but it's probably the second best investment I've made in reloading equipment right after my Chargemaster.

bigedp51

Take a look at the Frankfoed Arsenal Platinum Case Prep Center. I was looking for one piece of equipment to do all of my case prep on and this fits the bill perfectly. On one of the four heads, I switch back and forth between attaching an RCBS primer pocket reamer and an RCBS primer pocket cleaner (tiny brush with metal bristles) depending on which I need at the time. It's not cheap but it's probably the second best investment I've made in reloading equipment right after my Chargemaster.

tcoz

In my photo is a Hornady case prep trio and has a outside and inside deburring tools and a primer pocket uniformer. And once the cases have been wet tumbled with stainless steel media a primer pocket "brush" isn't needed.

bigedp51,

I considered the Hornady case prep, but I was most interested in a case prep tool that included a trimmer and that's why I like the FA one so much. As far as primer pockets, i was just letting the reamer take care of it but then decided to throw that little RCBS brush on and it works so well that I've kept using it. I'm not interested enough in super clean cases to go to the expense and extra time and effort involved in wet tumbling with stainless steel. I've been using my good old corncob in a $50 tumbler for years and it works well enough for me. I will certainly agree though that the cases come out of those tumblers looking like new or maybe even better.