Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning away member prospect

Rob Boudrie

I really hate telling a prospective USPSA member "It's too bad you live in Massachusetts. Even though were in an IPSC club in your home country for many years and shot their nationals, this state will not allow you to own a handgun if you live here as a legal resident alien. Of course, if you lived out of state getting a non-resident handgun license would not be a problem."

• 1 month later...
I really hate telling a prospective USPSA member "It's too bad you live in Massachusetts.  Even though were in an IPSC club in your home country for many years and shot their nationals, this state will not allow you to own a handgun if you live here as a legal resident alien.  Of course, if you lived out of state getting a non-resident handgun license would not be a problem."

I guess that means that you could not purchase a gun and store it and bring it to the matches for them either ? What country is he/she from, not another Brit ?

I really hate telling a prospective USPSA member "It's too bad you live in Massachusetts.  Even though were in an IPSC club in your home country for many years and shot their nationals, this state will not allow you to own a handgun if you live here as a legal resident alien.  Of course, if you lived out of state getting a non-resident handgun license would not be a problem."

I guess that means that you could not purchase a gun and store it and bring it to the matches for them either ? What country is he/she from, not another Brit ?

The individual in question was an Israeli.

MA is a strange state.

If you live here, and are a citizen, you can get a license to buy handguns, rifles, shotguns and ammo.

If you do not live in MA, you can mail order a MA license to carry handguns and to carry and posess ammo even if you are not a US citizen, but you cannot buy ammo in-state. There is a specific exemption for persons attending matches or gun shows, but this does not cover persons living in-state.

BUT... if you live here, and a not a US citizen, the only gun license you can get is one allowing you to posess a low capacity rifle or shotgun (but they will let you buy ammo).

------

NY is equally strange. It's illegal for a person under 21 to fire a handgun in that state unless they are a non-reisdent visiting the state for a match.

tightloop,

get your facts straight. California is NOT a "don't bring your guns here" state. I really get tired of all the California bashing and people not spelling my state's name correctly. I live here and have to deal with the stupid laws we have here. As you mentioned, there are other states that have the same problems as CA, or even worse. Don't count us out. CA still is one of the largest percentages of shooters per state in USPSA, number of M and GM shooters, and winners of Area and Nationals events. We just had one of the premier 3gun matches of the country, (Area 2 -3gun) with alot of out of state shooters. Sure we have some stupid laws, and we all figure out how to deal with them. Alot of new and innovative ideas about gun design, shooting skills, and coarse designs come from the shooters and gun industry professionals of this state.

Sorry for the thread drift Mr. Boudrie. I understand your frustration. I have been in the same situation, explaining to a new shooter that even though they are a legal resident of the state, (and citizen of the US) they can not buy a new STI Edge from the factory. Their only hope is to buy a used STI gun from a private party that has been registered in the state already. It is not easy to promote our sport this way.

Bevin is right. No matter how much fun it is to mock the anti-gun insanity of some states it does no real good. What you folks in the "Blue" (I really think they should be the Red states by the way but we won't go there) states really, really need to do is hang out with the polititians. Volunteer for campaigns. Infiltrate their mindless anti gun organization and when they think you are a decent person, take them to the range. Lend them a gun and let them have some fun. Invite them to a match. Maybe offer to take a sportscaster shooting. That is the best way to co-opt the news media. Do Not Preach. Subvert them on a one on one basis and let them figure out on their own guns are just sports equipment and we need 30 round magazines 'just for fun.'