Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag catch spring replacement

chp5

Same thing happened to me - just had it replaced. The gunsmith just popped the top end out of the mag catch, then pulled the thing straight out with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Just charged me $2 for the part.

Must have been going weak for a while cuz I can't remember when I had to push this hard to release a mag. Stress crack in the old one.

Cy,

it should pull out with pliers, and reinsert with pliers. I say should, because some forum members have managed to break the spring off in such a fashion, that they've needed a frame replacement.....

I've always found it easier to have the trigger mechanism housing out of the frame to do it --- but I've done it with it in with long needle nose pliers as well.....

I'm aware of three people, all competition shooters who do an immense amount of speedloading practice, who've had their mag springs snap. If the spring snaps above the hole in the frame it's no big deal, you can just pull the remainder out with a pair of needlenose pliers and install a new spring. But if it breaks below the hole in the frame - and that actually happened to one guy - the only option is to send the gun to Glock for a new frame. Personally I've made replacement of the mag catch spring every 10 K rounds a part of my regular maintenance schedule on any Glock.