Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

buying a lemon

hdgun

I was going to keep this to my self,but the more I think about it,the more it pisses me off.

About a year ago I bought a Caspian 38 super from a USPSA member from the USPSA classifieds. (paid good $$$ for it too)

Over the course of the year I shot it a few times,mostly steel matches. (lite loads)The last few months I have been shooting it in USPSA open class (Major) ocasionally I would get a malfunction of some sort. No huge deal.

So I broke it down to clean and noticed the top lugs in the slide where really shinny and rounded off (corners). Thought to my self this does not look right.

I sent it to a Gunsmith to take a look at it and have some other work done. He tells me the gun was not fit rite (barrel to frame,frame to slide,ECT.) Now I am stuck with a gun that I spent my hard earned $$ on and have to have a new top end done.WTF!!!!

It was like, I throw this thing together and make some cash on it. HEEE HEEEE HEEEE!! This member I bought the gun from is a long time member too. Never thought I would get F***ED by another fellow shooter. I thought we were better than that.

Just had to share that and get it off my chest. Buyer Beware.

Thanks for your shoulder to cry on. John

Yah I second tightloop. When I first wanted to get into ipsc, I talked to a friend of mine whom i thought was the ipsc guru. I asked him if someone had a limited gun that I could buy and shoot. "Oh, hes got this friend who has a colt commander totally tricked out for $1400" So I drove my sorry ass over to Wenatchee, WA got a sheet with "everything" that the gun had done or was in it, paid the mo, went home and the gun wouldnt run. So I bought some gunsmithing DVD's, got into it alot more, went through the gun, and NOT ONE COMPONENT OR SMITH WORK was true. Heck, not even the 70 series frame claim was true. Called my friend and he was bummed as well but the guy was long gone at that point.

Sometimes you just got to take it like a man and be accountable for poor choices. But yah, it still gripes me. Right now it sits with a smith getting a magwell and all the bush league grinding smoothed out.

EricW, still thinks I need to spend my money on a gold tooth and some bi***es with all the fancy scroll work on it. Unless commanders go through the blue book roof, that will be a dead bird around my neck for a long time. But at least I have the Triangle Gun that puts a smile on my face everytime I shoot it.....

Definitely give him a chance...

He might not have known..that that gun was not fit right...it is amazing how well some of this stuff goes together and actually works until it gets to high use...

There are a lot of builders out there..some good, some not, some learning..also there is a lot of not pretty out there..as we as USPSA shooters tend to shoot a lot and if you are buying used..it could be used...

anyway..hope it works out for both of you...

Used,I have no problem with, Like you said used is used. But having only put less 1,500 rounds through it, and having the slide lugs sheer off isnt used.

If the gun was not accurate,OK. if it was a little loose,OK. But not this!

TDean, It has been a little over a year but never realy shot it. Like I said minor loads for steel. When I got it it was for the most part a great deal. I inspected it, Shot it for accuracy and function. It was all acceptable.Wasn't til I put major loads through is when the problems started.

Should have had a gunsmith check it out, even then don't know if they would have cought it.

I guess I should'nt blame the seller,but instead blame the smith on his end.

I agree with Tdean. If your buying and the seller will not give you a 3 day

inspection perion, then don't buy. I do that with anything I sell on the classified page. They have to ship back at their expense, but I have not had

one person complain.

I have a deal with my local gunsmith that if I ever buy a gun off the internet that he will inspect it for me and then we both go and shoot it. B)

I guess what I am saying is to be aware of what your buying. I made the original post to blow some steam and to make every one aware of what your buying.

I know a long time has passed since the sale and had no intention on even contacting the seller. I am pissed but, probably more at myself than anyone else. it is a lesson learned.

• 2 weeks later...