Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pressing palms inward

bird

Brians' words on a previous post have really helped me;

Brian:

Robbie tells me that he creates an inward tension/pressure on the gun by both of his hands pressing toward each other. He says the body actually accomplishes this from the shoulders. If you try this, you'll feel it raises your elbows somewhat. I used to roll my elbows up somewhat - it created a feeling of "locking in" the gun. At some point I stopped doing this, however it wasn't intentional. I think it was just the product of my grip and position improving over time. At this point, I do not apply any sort of tension or pressure with my arms or hands. I feel this is an area for individual experimentation.

be

bird:

I would like to hear more about this.

I have found that this technique allows me to keep my hands (esp my right hand) very relaxed and still shoot great groups.

Super Cop also gave me alot of help;

Kevin:

Yes, this presented a different feeling for me too.

I have been gripping the gun tightly with both hands for a while and tried shooting with less grip pressure and more of and inward pressure of the palms against each other and inward pressure of the arms pushing in and it let me ease up on my hands and grip pressure. It made my hands a little more relaxed and seemed to help with any trigger freeze I used to have by allowing my hands to be more relaxed. It also seemed to help with my mag changes by allowing my hands to be more relaxed.

I always felt that to do speed mag changes, you need your hands to be relaxed instead of tense and this was a little harder when I gripped the gun so tightly with my hands. It was hard to learn how to grip the gun so tight and then within tenths of a second, loosen the grip enough to make a mag change (that requires such fine motor skills) smoothly and FAST and then regrip so tight again to shoot. This seems to be helping.

bird:

The funny thing is that when I 1st started shooting,a couple of years ago, and when I looked at pix of the Pro Handgunners It always appeared that they were "pressing" their hands together.

Everyone at the time and all the books etc I read told me that this is wrong.

I shot like this 2x's since I tried this new technique and my shooting has vastly improved.

thanks for all the help you all have given me..

bird

(Edited by bird at 9:03 pm on Aug. 11, 2001)

I shot Pat's dot drill yesterday.  I noticed a few things about my grip while shooting it.  Today, in a match, it paid off.  I had a couple of misses on a plate rack.  I immediately knew it was a problem with my grip.  A quick correction and I then mowed the rest of the plates down.  

:)

• 11 years later...