Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex

Boy

No.

There is a federal law that an Ordinary Taxpayer must send a handgun by common carrier and abide by its regulations.

The next day air requirement is a company policy intended to reduce theft by employees and, just incidentally, increase profit. Both UPS and FedEx have discovered this money maker.

An alternative is to have your FFL ship guns for you, he probably has a business account and gets a lower rate and store pickup. He can also mail a pistol which is much less expensive. My guy will let me do the legwork to mail a gun on his paperwork but that sometimes means dealing with a hysterical postal clerk who is just CERTAIN that it is not legal to mail a firearm.

The last couple of times I bought a gun, I made it a condition of sale that if I ever needed to ship it off for custom or repair work, the dealer would Handle It.

Edited by Jim Watson

Seen this gone around a couple of times. The BATFE FAQ at least used to list this requirement, but other people claimed they could not produce the exact law that required it. I'll stay out of that, and assume your question is really did you get one oddball UPS agent who screwed you over, no. The vast majority of the time you inform Fed Ex or UPS that you are shipping handgun you will be told it must go "overnight" (at least twice I've been told 2nd day is ok by Fed Ex). Whether it's just company policy or law, or policy based on law, I'll let someone else sweat.

Edited by JLB-US

I sent my gun to Apex today. The lady at UPS informed me that it is a federal law that you have to send a handgun next day. Is this true or BS? Thanks........

Absolute BS. No such federal law, it is self imposed restriction that both UPS and Fed Ex require. I already went through this with them, they admitted it is simply an arbitrary rule to get the guns out of their possession as fast as possible to reduce chance of theft.

Anyone holding an FFL can ship handguns using US postal service parcel post which takes a week, so there is no "overnight federal law". You can ask the FFL at your local range to ship it and save about $60 compared to UPS overnight.

Edited by bountyhunter