Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally got it right!

For the first time since getting started in this sport back in 2011, I can honestly say I am 100% happy with my belt set up. Here is my current set-up and culmination of 4 years of trying all sorts of different gear. I realize that what works for me is completely subjective and will not suit everyone, but maybe someone will find this helpful and at the same time possibly save themselves a few bucks.

post-35158-0-21918700-1424647212_thumb.j

post-35158-0-57533100-1424647241_thumb.j

Belt is your basic CR Speed belt and it’s the only part of this that hasn't changed since the beginning.

Holster is a G-Code XST. If you are in the market for a holster with positive retention I can’t say enough good things about these. It’s an incredibly well made holster and if you buy it without any attachment method it’s under $40. To get the holster on the belt, I used the Invictus Practical Holster Hanger to put the holster right where I wanted it. They sell it in a long and a short version. I chose the short version and it was perfect for me. On the other end is a standard Tek-Lok from Blade-Tech to complete my holster set up. The whole works, stem to stern was about $80.

post-35158-0-85379400-1424647298_thumb.j

post-35158-0-78124600-1424647329_thumb.j

The three caddies across the front are the Dueling Deuces from TACCOM. I love these things. With this arrangement I can run 24 shells on my belt and do it comfortably. They are compact enough that nothing digs into my body when bending or maneuvering, have great shell retention and you can easily load quads or deuces on them. With them sitting on my belt on a near horizontal plain, with the curved design of the clips, I can almost pull straight up to release the shells. To attach the Dueling Deuces to my belt, I’m using the Safariland ELS clips. I attached the ELS backers to my CR Speed belt by using a soldering iron to burn holes so I could run the hardware through it. I did have to drill a couple holes in the caddies to get them mounted exactly how I wanted them on the ELS forks, but a monkey with a hand drill could pull this off. Now as an FYI, I did run these caddies on Tek-Loks for several months before attaching the ELS backers to my belt, so I knew exactly where I wanted them and where to make my holes to attach them…… Just something to think about. Can’t tell you how much I love being able to add or remove caddies without taking my belt off. Another bonus with using t-nuts to attach the backer plates to the belt is you get almost 100% Velcro contact back between your inner and outer belt. It also makes it easy to switch out to traditional weak hand caddies if a stage design deems it beneficial.

post-35158-0-43801300-1424647392_thumb.j

post-35158-0-15941300-1424647516_thumb.j

For pistol mags, I’m actually using the Springfield double mag holder that came with my XDm 5.25. They may not look all that trick, but I’ve tried three other manufacturer’s pouches that are very popular in the sport in search of a better mousetrap. In the end I keep going back to this. It just works better for me than any of the others I’ve tried thus far. YMMV.

For a spare rifle mag, I use the very popular Blade-Tech injection molded Revolution model mounted on a Tek-Lok in about the 7 o’clock position. No super-secret sauce here, it just works.

That’s it folks. See y’all out on the range.

Edited by Shooter115

Other than your pistol being on the wrong side, the AR mag facing the wrong way, and the shot gun ammo too close together - it looks grrreat!!! :roflol:

Title of the post was "Finally got it right". Lefties are gonna have to figure it out on their own. :cheers:

Where's your industrial sized suspenders to hold up all that tonnage? :roflol:

IDK. I think that's a pretty standard load out for 3gun. I pop off shotgun caddies as needed with the ELS clips, but 2 spare pistol mags and a spare rifle mag is the norm.

Nice setup....I just learned about using the Tek-Loks and ELS clips.....made switching out caddies a whole lot easier! May use your idea of mounting the ELS backers to my belt and discard the Tek-Loks......thanks for the explanation and pics......

Which basepads and magwell do you have on your XDM?

I have basepads from Springer Precision, Canyon Creek and Taylor Freelance. They all work fine and will let me get 24 rounds in when used with the Gram's spring and follower. The magwell is a PistolGear Unlimited

Thats my same basic setup for the most part. Holster, 2 caddies, 2 pistol mags, backup rifle mag.

Like everyone, I add caddies as needed. I will also sometimes move my pistol to 5 o clock and my shell caddies to 3, if its muddy out and I have to go prone before loading the shotgun.