Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 for Acton Pistol

mojo1

I entertained a 929 as I hadn't purchased a new revo for AP for quite some time. I ran across a new 7 -shot 686 Talo the other day so I picked it up.

Really you can use any of them if you are going to replace the barrel anyway. Your goal is 100% function and 2 inch or less groups at 50yds.

With a front mover sight, you will have a wider choice of loads that will work optimaly. even on the mover.

I've used 6", 7", and 8&3/8 all.

Troy

getting the gun to run reliable is not a problem getting it to group is, that's why i want to re-barrel so i can get the groups down to under 1 1/2" at 50 yards right now it over 2" i need all the help i can get,

My understanding is the 929 comes with a 6.5 inch, .355, 1 in 10 twist barrel. My Bianchi revolver has a Walther barrel that is very similar and works well. I would have the original barrel set back to remove the constriction at the frame, re-installed hand tight with red loctite, recut the crown and forcing cone and set the forcing cone to cylinder gap to about .003. I think the 929 with the original factory barrel should work well with some tweaking.

The Zero 125 gr jhp bullets work well for Action Pistol at a reasonable price, load to around 1050 fps.

what twist is your barrel and what kind of groups are you getting, is it a 9MM.

I have a 686 (.357) with a .355 Walther barrel that has a 1 in 9.8 twist. It shoots about 1.5'' at 50 yrds prone (4 moa dot). I'm curious if the 929 has .357 or .355 chambers, either way I would try the .357 Zero 125 jhps. With the 125 jhp sighted in for 25yrds I aim at the top of the X at 10 yrds and the bottom of the X at 50 yrds.

I like the 4 moa dot size but I think you can shoot a little more accurately at 50 yrds with a 2 moa dot.

Edited by toothguy

929 is .355" according to S&W. Before launching money at a new barrel and mover sight I would really suggest getting a few matches under you belt with the gun as is. Use Toothguys suggested load (I prefer 1000fps for a 125gr) and see what it feels like to shoot. I think the 986 would be a better fit as the frame is just that bit smaller than the 929.

I Appreciate all your input, here's what i know these 9mm 929's are not grouping with a 1&10 twist, i know 38's group OK with a 1&10 twist but not 9mm, a lot of the open class PPC shooters are running 1&16, 1&21 and 1&32 twist barrels and they are getting groups as tight as 1" at 50 yards, six of the chambers are measuring .3572 and two are at .3568 ( cut for 38 not 9mm),i think it will be fun to see how tight we can get it to shoot.

i know a guy that would Hone all the cylinders the same size within .0001 using a bore gauge, try cheking yours, i think i will send mine out and have it honed.

Edited by mojo1