Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 vs 550

I have a 550 b with all the fixins. No case feeder. I mostly load pistol, but do load some rifle.

Thinking of going to a 650. Other than auto index and case feeder and speed what are the benefits to the 650. Is it worth trying to sell the 550 and the parts to go toward a 650.

In my opinion it depends on how much you currently load, and if you need to greatly increase that number. I thought about a 650, but only load 6000-8000 rds/year of 9mm and 2000-3000 of 223. My 550 easily does that.

Keep the 550. Buy the 650. If you load a bunch of 9mm, set up the 650 for small primers.

If you shoot just some .45 ACP or .308, then keep the 550 set up for large primers.

+1 on this. I am thinking about the same thing right now. Two presses have a permanent home on my benches. 550b and Redding T7. They are just too versatile to sell off. They are really a do all. The 650 to me is more of a churn and burn machine. A couple of calibers 9/40 and just churn out ammo. I am highly considering getting a 650 just to do 40 and 9mm.

RT

Check this thread. I can pull the T7 and mount a SQDb in less than 5 minutes. Very good for my current situation. Keeps the reloading room compact and then I have a second room at another home. I use a big plastic container to store presses when not used. Toss in car and take to other site when needed.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206216&hl=%2Bmounting+%2Bplates#entry2322622

thanks guys. I really only load maybe 3k of 9 a year 1k of 40 and some .223.

don't have the money or space to add a second dedicated press right now. I think I will just hold off for now. I will take a look at the other threads and maybe spark some ideas for the reloading bench.

don't have the money or space to add a second dedicated press right now. I think I will just hold off for now. I will take a look at the other threads and maybe spark some ideas for the reloading bench.

If that's the case I'd stick with what you have, I don't see why'd you want to spend the money unless you were planning on loading a lot more rounds

• 2 weeks later...

If that's the case I'd stick with what you have, I don't see why'd you want to spend the money unless you were planning on loading a lot more rounds

I second that.