Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic hearing protection suggestions

grouse

MSA Sordin are the best I've tried

+ 1. I love my Sordins. They reduce the sound not clip it. That means I can still hear even when shots are going off. This is really helpful when ROing matches
Several of the top muffs will do the same for much less and with better noise reduction. I know a few guys that tried sordins and they had to double plug because the noise reduction just isn't there. Pro ears are just as good but they are heavy ear crushers. The best I have found are the tactical pros. Great noise reduction, great electronics and around $200

Here is an interesting article on NRR numbers for hearing protection

https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/msa-sordin-supreme-performance-the-misleading-nrr18db-rating/

I use the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with gel cups. Get them from SRS Tactical.

I think anybody that shoots rifle with a brake should use double ear protection, the advantage of the MSA Sordins is that you crank up the volume and you can hear commands and conversations easily and without distortion.

I can see a lot of holes in the article by Trevor. I also have done a lot of research on hearing protection and hearing loss since I'm dealing with a hearing issue. The most important factor for any hearing protection is that it has to fit and fit correctly. If you break the seal or don't get a good seal, then it's no good anyway. I shoot Open and I can tell a difference when I shoot with my MSA vs ProEars. I have ringing with the MSA after a while and I don't get that from the ProEars. Mine fit correctly and I constantly check to make sure they are on correctly and tight around my ears. More to come later...

I can see a lot of holes in the article by Trevor. I also have done a lot of research on hearing protection and hearing loss since I'm dealing with a hearing issue. The most important factor for any hearing protection is that it has to fit and fit correctly. If you break the seal or don't get a good seal, then it's no good anyway. I shoot Open and I can tell a difference when I shoot with my MSA vs ProEars. I have ringing with the MSA after a while and I don't get that from the ProEars. Mine fit correctly and I constantly check to make sure they are on correctly and tight around my ears. More to come later...

I agree, also the type of sunglasses temples may contribute to breaking the seal. I read somewhere that the concussion transmitted through the skull may contribute to hearing loss.

http://hear-pro.com/shop/amp37/

holy cow, $1275.00 for these??!!

i would like to switch from pro ears muffs (which do a great job and are pretty comfy, and way better [noise and comfort] than the Leights i used before) to elec plugs just to not have muffs in the way, but not for over $1k.

Sure, I understand that, and it took me years until I decided to go that route. I am just offering my opinion that it was completely worth it, despite the price.

• 3 weeks later...

i would like to switch from pro ears muffs (which do a great job and are pretty comfy, and way better [noise and comfort] than the Leights i used before) to elec plugs just to not have muffs in the way, but not for over $1k.

Sure, I understand that, and it took me years until I decided to go that route. I am just offering my opinion that it was completely worth it, despite the price.

Just seems like a crazy amount....but there is no real alternative. And you don't want to mess with your hearing....I just cant justify $1K

• 4 weeks later...

Just seems like a crazy amount....but there is no real alternative. And you don't want to mess with your hearing....I just cant justify $1K

Yes, they are crazy expensive, but consider this:

1. They're custom-molded to YOUR ear to give you the best sound seal possible.

2. They won't pull away from your ear when you get a cheek weld on your rifle (been there, done that...still got the ear ringing to prove it)

3. You can wear any hat and eye protection you want and they won't get in the way

4. The folks at Hear-Pro/Fluxx will give you great support if you should need it

5. It's your hearing. You don't want to skimp on protecting it.

6. If you hunt at all, the different profiles programmed into the electronics make for great aids in hearing in the woods/brush/etc.

Just my 6 cents....