Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training While Injured?

saibot

I incured an injury to my hip a couple of years ago which contined to degrade to the point of a reconstruction a few weeks ago, which needless to say, has put a damper on my shooting and training. A typical recovery to the point of the actions required for USPSA shooting looks to be around six months.

Right now, I'm going crazy since I can't shoot or even put weight on my leg for another few weeks, then slowly, I can start putting weight back on that leg.

So any suggestions on how I can train? I figured once I can move around a little I might go and shoot groups from the bench, then perhaps start back competing in something static like Speed Steel. But until that point, I love to hear how those who have been through a long term recovery have kept from backsliding too much.

I will try some actual dry fire once I can stand without crutches but will be limited to non-momvent drills, and won't be picking up any mags off of the floor.

I seem to recall some folks talking about a computer program that can project targets on a screen and somehow knows when you're shooting them. That would be cool, but I would like to be able to use my actual STI Open gun.

Any other tips, suggestions, or otherwise?

Thanks guys!

Sorry to hear about the problems.

I wouldn't wait to be able to stand to dry-fire. :cheers:

Might be good to do a LOT of reloading, too?

Good luck - hope it all goes quickly.

Thanks, Jack!

I think all of my guns are going to get very well cleaned in the near future.

:)

I do need to get some reloading underway, but still working up my load for my new pistol. I just moved to open and using a recipe from a trusted friend I pressed out about 800 rounds on the high side to be sure I made major PF. And just prior to my surgery I was able to chrono them and found them to be going at 1500 FPS (124 JHP/10.1 #7). So I need to dial those down a bit, but since I'd need to get to the range to do it, not in the cards at the moment so I can't try to wear out my Dillon.

Hmm. I wonder what kind of siting drills I can come up with? I might wind up being the quickest shooter from sitting at our club.

Appreciate the info, Jack!

Wow. You're going at PF 186 on those 124 grain loads.

You'd be safe at 100 fps lower. :surprise:

I presume that's a .38 super and NOT a 9mm??? Lots of

powder to cram into a tiny 9mm case.

Why not buy 1-2 books on dry firing (Anderson, etc) - bet

they have some drills that could be performed sitting....

Wow. You're going at PF 186 on those 124 grain loads.

You'd be safe at 100 fps lower. :surprise:

I presume that's a .38 super and NOT a 9mm??? Lots of

powder to cram into a tiny 9mm case.

Why not buy 1-2 books on dry firing (Anderson, etc) - bet

they have some drills that could be performed sitting....

Well, actually, it 9mm. And my squadies hate me since it, well, a little loud.

Besides the dry fire, also looking for live fire or at least simulated live fire like any computer programs that have a gun that interacts with the screen, like the old Duck Hunt game.

Know of anything like that?

Thanks, Jack!

I never heard of power factor so high it injures your hip, but it makes sense. lol.

Seriously, when I first got into shooting I tore my acl racing motorcycles and had it reconstructed. I shot steel challenge the following week. As soon as you can stand upright, you can dryfire.

I think any drill that doesn't require movement can be performed while sitting. Standing doesn't really change the relationship between your eyes, brain and hands.

I incured an injury to my hip a couple of years ago which contined to degrade to the point of a reconstruction a few weeks ago, which needless to say, has put a damper on my shooting and training. A typical recovery to the point of the actions required for USPSA shooting looks to be around six months.

Right now, I'm going crazy since I can't shoot or even put weight on my leg for another few weeks, then slowly, I can start putting weight back on that leg.

So any suggestions on how I can train? I figured once I can move around a little I might go and shoot groups from the bench, then perhaps start back competing in something static like Speed Steel. But until that point, I love to hear how those who have been through a long term recovery have kept from backsliding too much.

I will try some actual dry fire once I can stand without crutches but will be limited to non-momvent drills, and won't be picking up any mags off of the floor.

I seem to recall some folks talking about a computer program that can project targets on a screen and somehow knows when you're shooting them. That would be cool, but I would like to be able to use my actual STI Open gun.

Thanks guys!

I had hip replacement surgery the first week in January, I've shot a few indoor matches (3 to be exact) since then, 1 from a wheelchair, 1 from crutches, and 1 with a cane. Tonight is the first time starting on both of my own (unassisted) legs. Here's hoping it will go OK. I was going to do a Steel Challenge last Sunday but passed since I think I would tire out moving from stage to stage during the match. I'm playing it by ear, but am aiming at next month to try an outdoor match. Let your feelings guide you, just remember you will tire out faster, so if you get halfway through a match and are used up, stop, go home and try again later. This is hip surgery number 3 for me (this latest one was a revision of an earlier surgery). Good luck. ;)

IMG_20141213_091357_200%20%28Small%29.jp

IMG_20141216_190947_800%20%28Small%29.jp

Edited by Bkreutz

Thanks guys!

I had hip replacement surgery the first week in January, I've shot a few indoor matches (3 to be exact) since then, 1 from a wheelchair, 1 from crutches, and 1 with a cane. Tonight is the first time starting on both of my own (unassisted) legs. Here's hoping it will go OK. I was going to do a Steel Challenge last Sunday but passed since I think I would tire out moving from stage to stage during the match. I'm playing it by ear, but am aiming at next month to try an outdoor match. Let your feelings guide you, just remember you will tire out faster, so if you get halfway through a match and are used up, stop, go home and try again later. This is hip surgery number 3 for me (this latest one was a revision of an earlier surgery). Good luck. ;)

IMG_20141213_091357_200%20%28Small%29.jp

IMG_20141216_190947_800%20%28Small%29.jp

Bkreutz-

Wow, that's pretty darn cool! I've never seen a chair mounted holster before! Kudos to you for not slowing down.

Good advice on the effort of dragging your stuff between stages. My buddy has one of those little wagons that I'll just dump all of my stuff into and he can Sherpa it between stages for me.

Thanks for posting!

I've got one of those wagons as well, but I was thinking more of me moving between stages (and during the stage). I'm pretty good on hard surfaces, but irregular terrain, or soft stuff like sand doesn't sound like something I'm ready to tackle yet. My goal for my first outdoor match is next month (unless my end of the month followup Dr appt doesn't go well). The only advice I can give is "Listen to your body, it will tell you when you're done if you don't ignore it).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one of those wagons as well, but I was thinking more of me moving between stages (and during the stage). I'm pretty good on hard surfaces, but irregular terrain, or soft stuff like sand doesn't sound like something I'm ready to tackle yet. My goal for my first outdoor match is next month (unless my end of the month followup Dr appt doesn't go well). The only advice I can give is "Listen to your body, it will tell you when you're done if you don't ignore it).

You, my friend get a gold star.

Desperately needing some "group therapy," I got the long gun out and dragged it to a PRP match. The MD's were gracious enough to let me beat on the steel from prone for no score, and I have to tell ya, it was just what the doctor ordered.

One more week and I can start putting weight on it again, so if it goes well, time for dry fire and hopefully Speed Steel.