Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

win231 and 180gr berry rnfp - glock KB

kpnobvious

I've had the following load, i used for about 4 years:

win231 4.8gr

180gr RNFP, usually berrys

col 1.148

I understand the col is over maximum, however it has loaded fine and the bullet doesn't engage the rifling (colored with black marker and looked for scratches).

I checked a couple of sources and the max is 5.1gr, and about a week or so ago i had a round get through with what i think is 5.0gr of powder and it KB'ed my glock 23. Headstamp was printed in the breech face, primer blown out, and case blown out where the chamber is unsupported. I had originally thought it fired out of battery, but it definitly seems like it was hot.

I don't think the brass was old, but i haven't really been segregating it, i always figured i would have see it fail at the mouth first. I do a full resize with Dillon carbide dies and as it's a gen4 glock there's less of a bulge.

I really think it was an issue with the powder charge being close to maximum (or possibly over by accident). While i do check charge weights every 50 rounds or so, it wasn't often enough. i will say my HK shot all of this ammo just fine although i have yet to pull the rest of the batch i was shooting to check weights.

As the Win231 seems to get compressed, does anyone think that is an issue? I think it's more of an issue regarding an unsupported chamber and possibly worn brass lineing up in the "right" spot.

I'm really tempted to get a Lone Wolf barrel with a fully supported chamber since for $100, it's about the same price as replacing the frame.

That sounds more like a 2X charge or bullet set back. This says it all "Headstamp was printed in the breech face, primer blown out, and case blown out where the chamber is unsupported."

"While i do check charge weights every 50 rounds or so, it wasn't often enough." No No NO every time you stop to check you add more chance to make a mistake. set your charge weight an reload, when you are done do a check at the end. now if you have poor equipment and you charge weight changes with out you changing the setting, then you have other problems.

Any case failure will feel like a very hot load--all that gas suddenly coming out makes for a lot of excitement.

You think it had 5.0gn of powder?

You could have had a bad case that gave out. You could have had an out-of-battery condition (Glocks I looked at seemed to still drop the striker even at 0.25" out of battery). You could have had an over-charge (though a double charge would probably have blown the frame). You could have had bullet set back during feeding and the case may have had a much shorter COL when you pulled the trigger (do you do a push test after seating every bullet to verify that the bullet has enough tension?)

Did you work up to the load or just start there?

My load compilation shows that start loads (and I always start at the lowest start load I have as my gun and components are not exactly the same as in any load manual) range from 3.5-5.0gn and MAX loads are 5.7-6.0gn. Obviously, I need to get your manual's data into my data base.

One can achieve major PF with 4.5gn of 231/HP38. 5.0gn does not sound like it should have been over pressure.

And, EVERY pistol is proof tested at well over max pressure, so the gun can survive a couple thousandths of a grain over max.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't know the charge weight of the bad round, just what it should have been. As it sounds like 5.0 grain really shouldn't have an impact, it may have been a double charge (which i didn't think would actually fit in a .40S&W case) or most likely a bad case.

I reload on a Dillon 550 and charge weights have been pretty spot on. I had originally started this load around 4.4 and worked up from there. I have been shooting 4.8gr of win231 out of this glock prior as well as my HK without any issue, same load, COL, bullets, etc.

I do suspect it could have been a bad case, or out of battery, however if it was out of battery i don't think the headstamp would have printed in the breech face (as well as flattend a bit on the case itself). I do have the case if anyone wants pictures.

I use a Dillon digital scale, so it's accurate to a 10th of a grain and i do periodically calibrate it.

As for setback, i don't think that occured. My COL is a bit longer than SAMMI spec and I have push checked rounds and they don't move. As i chamber check (with a case gauge) all of the rounds, the bad cause sounds as the most likely culprit. The frame was only cracked i'd think a double charge would have done a heck of a lot more damage.

Other than dropping my charge weight, i think it would be good to a get a replacement barrel for the glock that has a fully supported chamber.

the last time something like this went by the conclusion was to blame old brass.

I am not entirely sure I agree with that and I would recommend you consider

a more supported chamber. I think this mostly because you are re-loading.

I find it is hard to track how many times a particular case has been fired.

it is strange to have a strong opinion on 'how to do it!"

I happen to think that brass is not a reliable metal. it work hardens

and then sometimes cracks, or flakes.

The strange part is that does not harden evenly

(I've tried to make special purpose springs, there were always soft spots)

This leads me to think that the brass part of a cartridge should not be asked to

flex, stretch or act as anything past a sealant.

Others appear to think differently of that subject.

miranda