Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

short stroking problem- possibly my gas block?

obsessiveshooter

I am using a set screw gas block, inside diameter was exactly .750. Outside diameter of the barrel is .750, both measured with calipers. I'll have to take the roll pin out of the gas tube to see if that is a tight fit. I think it is not as there is plenty of carbon on the tube and I recall when assembled it, there seemed to be more play than I expected. The tube fits tight in the gas key.

I went to the range today with about 20 minutes to kill. I shot 50-60 rounds. It cycled properly for about 15 rounds. I think this is from me getting the GB a little more centered. Using two brand new Magpul mags, I got about 10 jams where the bolt got over the top of the round and would jam into the side of the case with the round stuck diagonally pointing up. Now I'm just frustrated. I'm sending the BCG back because it won't go all the way into battery without help from forward assist if I ease the charging handle forward. That friction must be hurting me. Fortunately DS Arms said they'd do an exchange with me.

The GB is an ugly thing, the only part I bought that was noticeably cheaply machined. I'll replace that after the BCG with an inexpensive but reliable YHM low pro GB.

Today there was one saving grace. At 50 yards, all 50-60 rounds went into a 1.5" group using my $30 aimpoint clone with a 4moa dot. And with my $30 compensator, the sight picture barely moves at all. Also, these rounds were all shot in a few minutes with the POI not really changing, so I think my barrel handles getting hot just fine. Hey, I need something to be optimistic about at this point!

You are NOT supposed to ease the charging handle forward on an AR15 (or an AK, FAL, M14, etc. for that matter).

Draw charging handle to rear and let it go.

Are you running a barrel with a rifle barrel extension with an M4 ramp cut upper? That could cause you problems...

Mick

Edited by MickB

I know you aren't supposed to ease the charging handle forward- I'm just pointing out that there is so much friction between the bolt and carrier that the buffer spring can't close the bolt on it's own.

I honestly don't know what a rifle barrel extension is. Is the m4 ramp cut upper what I've always seen referred to as m4 feed ramps? I'll look into it.

So, is this the rifle with the 100 barrel and all the other cheap parts? If it is, I would start by scraping the barrel and bolt, get some name brand stuff and then stop wasting ammo. Of the many many other possibilities out there, when you buy cheap stuff its not always within spec. This one time, I bought a gun show special parts gun AR...I ended up replacing about every part on the rifle and re-chambering the barrel. Buy once, cry once.

Your best bet is to get some help locally from a knowledgeable shooter or gunsmith. This problem should/could be diagnosed at the range in a few minutes, firing very few rounds, with the right help. Trying to diagnose a mechanical problem from miles away on a website, while it is sometimes possible, is at best, not very efficient or timely. :cheers:

reptoid- Agreed. When the new bcg and gas block comes in, I'm going to quit trying to figure this out on my own if there are still problems.

dauntedfuture- While I understand the buy once cry once thing, sometimes there are work-arounds. A new bcg is on it's way, but I'm not throwing out the barrel unless I have a really good reason to. If it turns out the $100 barrel is just fine, then I think a lot of people would be interested to know that.

• 3 weeks later...

DS arms took care of me on an exchange of the BCG. I asked to upgrade mine to the Nickel Boron BCG and they only charged me $15 for the upgrade. They even sent the new BCG without having received my exchange yet.

The new BCG solved all the problems! The rifle runs like a top. 100 rounds through it this evening and not a single hiccup. Brass was ejecting 10' away.

I didn't replace the gas block. So, the only problem I had with my ultra cheap build was a bad BCG. I think after the upgrade I still have under 600 in the rifle. After about 1000 rounds I'll post a review, and between now and then I'll take the red dot off and scope it so I can report on the accuracy.