Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case feeder Jam Fix

On a post about shell plate size for loading .40, I replied and mentioned a problem I was having and a fix I found. I was asked to post a video or picture. I have not made the permanent part and hate to show the temp piece however I did not want people to think I was ignoring the request.

The final fix I will move the wiper higher up to allow more of the brass to fall away before getting to the wiper. I plan on using a piece of spring steel like the banding that comes on lumber. A small machine screw to attach it and maybe drill and tap a hole through the metal with a jamb screw from the outside to create adjustable tension /distance. You would have to push it back a little with your finger to change shell plates. I have ran a thousand rounds with out a glitch on the temp fix and before that I was getting an upside down case or jam about 2-4 per hundred rounds.

I would like to say I am a Dillon fan, and Have no intention of knocking the product. I always recommend the product and have had every model but the big 50 and the 1000. I have five in use now and have always done little tweaks just like on my guns.

I tried the 9mm shell plate which was to tight for the .40 and would stop the clutch with a normal amount of brass in feeder. My bench is 4 inches thick on steel pipe legs, it is level and two men can barely move it with the presses off.

The first video shows one of the jams and is short, the second one shows a couple of fixes, it says tag board but that was just for a pattern.

The videos are I phone quality and then after stating you could not hear me in the first attempt I still tried talking lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq0_MeZMS34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHME2YXh9i8

Edited by Build4u

Wait a minute! Isn't that the same jamb guys were talking about last month that moving the metal tab half way out into the opening fixed. I think the intent was to keep brass from falling after it passed the optimum spot which is just as the slot appears over the funnel. That's what I did to eliminate it. Of course I only had it happen a handful of times in a couple of years.

I tried moving the tab. It does not touch a case laying on its side, or even a vertical .40 as I remember. I watched mine from a ladder to see what was causing the jam. An upright case comes around with one laying down next to it, with the large plate there is enough room for the lay down case.. The one laying down is way under the tab. The case tipping out gets rid of the upside down case. Those were way more rare than the jam.

The "waterfall" fix is at the funnel, they are two different jams.

• 4 months later...