Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird trigger reset problem with my Mossberg JM Pro

Scrmblr

OK, I've searched and I can't find this problem elsewhere. If you can find it, I admit your superior search skills and humble myself before you.

My new JM Pro on its first outing. I did the prep as mentioned in other postings.

I loaded the tube with 8-rounds 2 3/4 buckshot. Cycled the bolt, loading one in the chamber. Safety off, bang, cycles next round without problem. I typically hold my trigger to the rear on every other gun I shoot and then slowly release to allow reset, then pull the trigger again... trigger DID NOT RESET, AND DID NOT FIRE NEXT ROUND, hammer did not fall. I press-checked the chamber, yes there was a round there, firmly seated the bolt, pulled trigger again... Nothing. Manually cycle next round, pull trigger, bang. This continued intermittently, with no pattern.

At home I disassemble everything. Trigger grouping is intact. I put my thumb on the hammer and pull the trigger, hammer falls, no problem. If I hold the trigger and reset the hammer, the sear clicks forward to grab it. I release the trigger, no reset, and when I pull trigger, the sear does not release the hammer. HELP!

In your test exercise, try this- Hold trigger to the rear and cock hammer as you did- release trigger and it won't reset. THEN- with finger still off trigger, press hammer slightly rearward, as the bolt would if you ran it fully rearward to chamber another round. If my guess is correct, as soon as you press the hammer back it will reset the trigger. This would mean the disconnector is not resetting, which is usually caused by debris in the trigger group. A thorough disassembly and cleaning will reveal if there are any burrs or garbage causing the issue. Any qualified gunsmith should be able to handle it if you are not comfortable with a full disassembly.

I had the same problem with a Mossberg 930. I would love to tell you that I am a gun genius, disassembled, immediately located the problem, and repaired. Not the case. No idea what was causing the issue. My guess was trash in the trigger group and it just needed to be shot. Took it apart, cleaned it well. Put 100 rounds through it. It didn't malfunction as much but still had issues. Disassembled again, cleaned, lubed. Put another 100 rounds through it. Only a couple of malfunctions. Disassembled, cleaned, lubed. Haven't had another malfunction in prob 2000 rounds. Prob not the answer you were looking for but mine just needed some TLC and trigger time.

In your test exercise, try this- Hold trigger to the rear and cock hammer as you did- release trigger and it won't reset. THEN- with finger still off trigger, press hammer slightly rearward, as the bolt would if you ran it fully rearward to chamber another round. If my guess is correct, as soon as you press the hammer back it will reset the trigger. This would mean the disconnector is not resetting, which is usually caused by debris in the trigger group. A thorough disassembly and cleaning will reveal if there are any burrs or garbage causing the issue. Any qualified gunsmith should be able to handle it if you are not comfortable with a full disassembly.

You were correct in your assessment, the hammer performed in exactly that manner. Prior to your post I took a chance and disassembled it (http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=219571) and thoroughly degreased and cleaned each piece, hitting anything that felt rough with some 600-grit. Assembled after dry lubing everything. It has dryfired and reset flawlessly so far. I will have to shoot it tomorrow to make sure. Your advice validated my choice, and relieved my concern. Thank you.

I had the same problem with a Mossberg 930. I would love to tell you that I am a gun genius, disassembled, immediately located the problem, and repaired. Not the case. No idea what was causing the issue. My guess was trash in the trigger group and it just needed to be shot. Took it apart, cleaned it well. Put 100 rounds through it. It didn't malfunction as much but still had issues. Disassembled again, cleaned, lubed. Put another 100 rounds through it. Only a couple of malfunctions. Disassembled, cleaned, lubed. Haven't had another malfunction in prob 2000 rounds. Prob not the answer you were looking for but mine just needed some TLC and trigger time.

Thank you, my experience seems to be on the same track.

• 2 months later...

It happened to me again today. I ran the bolt a little too wet, and after several trap shots, it stopped resetting reliably. I am almost thinking of wrapping the trigger assembly top in press-and-seal with a slit for the hammer. I think and observed that the trigger assembly was now wet, and covered with granular crap.

Perhaps the spring responsible for the reset is on the ragged edge of reliable strength and needs to be replaced.

I would like the easy fix, but the gun has only about 1k rounds thru it.

Some parts are out of spec from the start. Why not pull the spring, stretch it some to lengthen it, reinstall, and see if problem persists. its a diagnostic move, but costs nothing, takes minutes. my advice is worth what you paid for it :)

I like to tinker and fix issues myself, but for those that do not, there is always the option of a trip to mossberg or a quality smith, like RAS.

Edited by mpom

Ben_lli There are no more vowels spin or solve.

not to be rude its just that I have seen so many struggle with the JM guns

Not a MB cool aid drinker, but Ben_lli does not seem to be exempt from issues. There is a 2 page thread right next to this one...

No doubt MB has more than its share, but seems every SG has specimens with problems.

Edited by mpom