Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i need a gunsmith for a 3-gun modded remington 1100

Gadela08

hi everyone,

hopefully the collective knowledge of brian enos forums can help me out with my shotgun issue.

I've been shooting a remington 1100 for my 3-gun matches. I've opened the loading port, added dave's metal works easy loader, and added capacity to 10+1

its been a great shotgun that will run light loads and heavy loads perfectly... until recently.

the interceptor latch broke and so i replaced it with a new part. now, the shotgun double feeds intermittently. it appears that the interceptor is not catching the shell as it rushes by. this new part is not contoured like my original part (which was contoured along the lines of the loading port that i opened up).

i would love it if a gunsmith who was familiar with 3-gun and familiar with remington 1100's had a chance to take a look at my shotgun and tune it properly for competition.

thanks to anyone who might be of help and who might be able to point me in the right direction.

location is santa barbara California.

My guess is that there is play with the new interceptor latch on the pivot pin. Brownells, I am told, offers a set of interceptor latch pins of various thickness to help tighten the latch, cause by wear or issues such as yours (my guess). There are a host of great 3-gun gunsmiths out there. My go to guy is Steve Rose of Rose Action Sports. He has worked on a couple of pistols both newer and older and built a great 1100 for another 3-gun friend and it is 100%. I know there are others, some who may be in your area. I use an 11/87 that is over 30 years old and it still run fine. Good luck with it.

Paul : -)#

Like Paul said make sure the interceptor latch isn't flopping around. Brownells does offer a 3 set pack of the clips that retain it. They come as a thin, med and thick. Pick the one that holds the latch in place without wobble but make sure that it will work the entire range of motion it is supposed. If it is getting stuck before it full returns to its resting position it will cause a double feed in the gun. There is a torsion spring that is staked inside your receiver that returns the latch to the home position after it is lifted to allow a shell to load onto the lifter. If the spring is broken or compressed to far it could also cause a double feed. Hope this help correct your problem.

thank you both.

i'll look into the brownell's part. 3.99 seems like a good price to pay to test this out to see if it's the real problem!

hopefully this doesnt have to go to a gunsmith but if need be i'd rather have a working gun than one that doesnt

so I replaced the interceptor latch again and i think i figured out what the problem is....

if the gun is upside down and you're looking into the loading port, the interceptor latch (part #60) is going to be on your right and the Feed latch (43) is going to be on your left.

Normal Operation: when the bolt is locked back, the interceptor latch is rotated around its pin upwards towards the top of the receiver, engaging the next cartridge and stopping it from coming out of the magazine tube. When the bolt is closed, the interceptor latch is lowered to be flush with the bottom of the receiver and thus gets out of the way of the cartridge and the cartridge advances a few milimeters forward until it hits the feed latch. When you fire the gun, the bolt trips the feed latch and releases the next cartridge onto the carrier which then automatically triggers the carrier release and closes the bolt.

My Situation: during a string of fire, the interceptor latch is sometimes getting in the way of the cartridge from proceeding forward and therefore the next cartridge never engages the feed latch. rather, it remains stuck on the interceptor latch. The bolt closes on an empty chamber.

i'm pretty sure this latch isnt flopping around, but rather the shell is sitting too low in the receiver based on the loading port work & polishing that i did around that area.

does anyone know what i can do to fix this? or how to time this properly?

only thing i can think of is to polish the front part of the interceptor latch. the part that engages the shell when it Shouldnt be. if i polish that part of it, then the shell should slip by it, but there should still be enough material on the interceptor to stop the shell from coming out when i need it to keep working.

Could you post a picture of your loading port so we could see if you went too far on your loading port work.

If your 1100 ran fine before you broke your interceptor latch I don't think you went to far on your loading port work.

You have most it right how the action works.

When the bolt is forward and you fire the shotgun the next shell is resting on the feed latch, when you pull the trigger the disconnector in the trigger group activates the interceptor latch which cuts off the second shell from coming out of the magazine tube.

When the bolt goes all the way to the rear the action bar moves the feed latch to let the shell on the carrier at this time the interceptor latch is blocking the second round from coming out of the magazine tube.

I think your problem is your interceptor latch isn't moving freely. You don't want the interceptor latch to have wobble, but it must move freely and the interceptor latch spring has to have enough spring pressure.

You could have bent the interceptor latch spring when you installed the new interceptor latch and the interceptor latch spring doesn't have enough spring pressure.

Also polish the face of the interceptor latch, the part of the interceptor latch that contacts the shell when it cuts off the next shell. When you polish the interceptor latch don't round off the edges from side to side, follow the radius from the top to the bottom.