Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Suggestions for Issue with BT DOH holster

RickT

I'm trying to find a holster solution for my wife. She is high waist-ed, but doesn't have a small waist. She's doing steel challenge and without some drop it's an awkward draw stroke plus her belt angle cants the muzzle rearward which makes getting a good grip on her 9mm 1911 a bit awkward. She's tried a DOH accessory, but the holster stands off from her hip and basically flops around. She's using a good 1.5" belt and Teklok attachment so that doesn't contribute to her problem.

I only see two ways forward: 1) get a holster or attachment for the BT that allows a cant so we can at least get the gun vertical (no DOH) or 2) with the DOH add a 1/2"+ hard foam spacer to the inside of the holster so it steadies against her hip.

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions or critique of my two possible improvements.

Not knowing your wife's exact figure I would only be able to make a few recommendations to cure a flopping holster on the draw

Practice drawing until she figures out how to stop it

Make sure to use the CR SPEED or AA belt since they are very rigid

Tighten the belt tighter than she would normally wear a belt.

Maybe put spacers between the bottom holes between the bracket and holster to take some of the outward cant out of it

Losses the holsters grip on the gun. For SC I would adjust it so the gun just rests in the holster with no retention

After reading your post again I would also recommend getting the belt loop attachment and getting rid of the tech lock

Edited by Sarge

Buy her one of these to replace the stock DOH hanger. It will make a huge difference. http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=BSPS-Hanger

Edit: also buy a CR speed, blade tech, or DAA competition belt (with velcro inner belt and stiff outer).

+1 for the BOSS. She can buy just the hanger and use it with your existing BT holster minus the DOH attachment.

Getting a one of the belts I mentioned makes a huge difference as well. The belt is much more stiff and doesn't allow the holster to torque nearly as much. The holster can also be locked down and attached much more securely.

It's also really great to have all your gear placed and locked down on the belt. It makes it fast to get on and off and everything will always stay in the same place