Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 2011 Limited Pistol

zzt

My Limited gun right now is a CZ 75 TS 40 S&W. I'd like to build a 2011 as my next project. What I'd like not to do is go through the learning process I went through with 1911 builds. When you mix and match parts, sometimes they won't work at all and others you have a tremendous amount of effort to fit them. So I thought I'd ask for your opinions, because the only 2011s I see at the clubs are stock STI guns. That's not what I'm after. I want a precision fit custom gun that I fit myself.

I'm a little annoyed with STI at the moment because of all the finish work I had do do on the last forged receiver. Also, the oversized rails were not parallel to start with. The right rail was far enough out that I couls not get the front of it parallel. So I'm thinking along the lines of a Phoenix Trinity frame. I know it uses an SVI trigger and I'm fine with that. PT claims the mods they made to their frame make it easier to use non-STI parts. If true, that's a big plus. Opinions? I'm also debating standard vs. long wide.

I'm fine with the standard STI grip "feel" if I can't do better. Ideally, I'd like something a bit smaller and less square. I put very thin aluminum grips on my TS to slim it down. I know PT makes aluminum and SS grips, but not how big they are. I've also looked online at the Dawson Precision STI 2011 with Roupe Grip Reduction & Texturing. I've also see the STI Aluminum grip on Dawsons. I know it uses a special grip tape, but not if it is smaller or larger. What say you?

Ideally I'd like a 5.4" slide, but can't find anyone who makes them. If I have to stay with a 5", I'll probably get a Brazos Custom and hand fit it. Barrels will be either Kart or Scheumann, depending on whether I go with bushing or bull. Bushing I know. I've never fit a bull barrel before. Other than weight, which I can add other ways, is there any real advantage to a bull barrel?

The rest of the components are not really an issue. I like Wilson, Ed Brown, Caspian and several others. However, if you have found components that really worked well with your 2011s, I'm all ears.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have already built a few 1911s then the hardest part of a 2011 build is familiar to you. The same areas require special attention: slide to frame, barrel to slide and frame. Phoenix Trinity makes 2011 frames as well as CK Arms. Both are very high quality and exacting tolerances. As far as a grip, I would wait with a metal one until you actually get to hold and/or shoot with one. The polymer grips are what they are. Try to find a used one and see what you can do with it as far as your preferences. If you screw it up, get another. I have fairly large hands so I never really attempted to reduce the circumference of an STI grip, just undercut it as much as possible and light texturing.

As far as the 5.4 slide, you could get a 6" and have it cut, pretty sure that is what the big name guys have to do. If you send one to get cut, you can have the sight cuts, slide serrations, flat topped, tri-topped, or lightening cuts done all at the same time.

You know the deal, go slow, take your time, if you get frustrated walk away from the bench for a while. Good luck!

Good info. I have decided on the PT frame. I'm still not sure about the grip. I'm hearing great things about JEM Enterprises, so if I go with bushing I'll probably use his slide, MSH and GS. He will do all the cuts except lightening. I can have that done elsewhere. Other than requiring an SVI trigger and a non-captive ambi safety, the parts i use for my 1911 builds should do nicely.

The only thing I really have unresolved at this point is whether to go bushing or bull. The gun will never see a comp. Is there a technical reason the bull barrel is used so often?

Glenn at LSI cuts down the Caspian 6" slides as another option to the SV. He can recut the bushing recess. My Ltd gun is a 6" bushing barrel on a slide cut down to roughly commander length (4.3ish inches of barrel length)

In the 5.4 I think it could go either way. I liked my bull barrel 5", for a 6" I like the bushing...

Bull is popular because most people like weight out front. You could compromise and run a fluted 5.4...

A shooting buddy of mine just had a 5.5" bull barrel built by Tim Graves. I haven't had a chance to handle it yet.

Thanks Mike. Whose 6" barrel did you use? I became intrigued with the 6" barrel/5" slide idea when bmiller posted. I can't find that barrel in 40 with C/P ramp on Scheumann's site without ports, but I'm sure they will make one that way. For bushing, I don't know of anyone other than Clark for a 6" bushing barrel that will work in a 5" or 5.4" slide. Thanks for the LSI tip. If I don't go sight tracker, I'm still at 5.4" for the slide, because my old eyes really need the help.

Thanks Mike. Whose 6" barrel did you use? I became intrigued with the 6" barrel/5" slide idea when bmiller posted. I can't find that barrel in 40 with C/P ramp on Scheumann's site without ports, but I'm sure they will make one that way. For bushing, I don't know of anyone other than Clark for a 6" bushing barrel that will work in a 5" or 5.4" slide. Thanks for the LSI tip. If I don't go sight tracker, I'm still at 5.4" for the slide, because my old eyes really need the help.

I had KKM make a custom bull barrel that would lock up with the chopped back slide after testing it we fluted it, then I sent it back and he turned it to bushing diameter and fitted a briley spherical bushing.

I think any of the 6 inch bushing barrels will can work with the shorter slides- you just fit the bushing to that diameter. Its the bull barrels you have to worry about- a standard 6" bull probably wouldn't work in the commander slide as the barrel has some taper for clearance.

Akai did a sleeved bushing barrel with a steel front sight block, a 5.4, with an extremely light slide but that seems like it would be nose heavy... but I like lighter guns. Mine has a titanium front sight block, similar to LSIs original U Trac.

My barrel is an SV. I think they only sell C/P ramped barrels. They will not sell aet barrels, you have to buy a gun to get one from them. So this is a conventional rifled barrel. I have been thinking about milling the dust cover back to a short dust cover length.

post-29808-0-64374300-1423246032_thumb.j

Edited by bmiller

Thanks Mike and bmiller. Here are two Scheumann's that should work in a 5" slide.

http://www.schuemann.com/OnlineCatalog/SchuemannCatalog/tabid/91/c/barrels/p/ls40cnm4/PageIndex/1/Default.aspx

http://www.schuemann.com/OnlineCatalog/SchuemannCatalog/tabid/91/c/barrels/p/lb40cnm4/PageIndex/1/Default.aspx

On the second one, the picture doesn't look right, but the description is. I would just order them without the popples and ports.

Here is the Clark barrel I would use if bushing. They make all their barrels in 6" where the front section is long enough to allow it to be cut down to 5"and still use a normal bushing. I could use it as is, or have them cut it to 5.4". I've had good results with Clark barrels in the past.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1911barrels.html

Edited by zzt