Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio witness frame/slide swap fitment guide

yzman

I would like to start this to find out and let others know which frames will fit which slides in the tanfo witness line. ie,,will the limited pro slide-barrel fit the stock 3 frame,,etc etc..I know there must be many combinations so this may be too much..Any help would be great.

Welcome to the forum David, here's a place for you to start: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=178651

The most important thing in slide swapping is frame size: small frame slides with small frames and large frame slides with large frames, the next is dust cover length, for instance a Limited Pro dust cover is not long enough to cover the recoil system of a Hunter slide. After that if it 'should' fit, it probably will, but you need to recognize the concept of tolerance stacking: if you want to use a (relatively) big slide in a (relatively) tight frame you will likely need to do some fitting and on the contrary, a small slide in a loose frame will rattle a little.

So after 2005 in the elite line,,ie limited, limited pro, stock 1, 2 & 3, and hunter would be all large frame regardless of caliber?

Don't you wish it were that easy! :roflol:

I know for a fact there were small frame Stock IIs (rare) and small frame Stock IIIs (more common than large frame) in 9mm imported to the US. Since the Hunters are only available in 10mm and .45 they're all large frame, I've seen one or two small frame Limiteds in .40, so it's nothing you can bet your life on, but new Elite pistol = large frame is a pretty safe assumption (except the Stock III, most 9mms are small frame).

For a minute Tanfoglios were also imported by IFG (a flash in the pan from the owner of EAA) which had it's own models and combinations, but they're rather rare (although I do have a custom Open gun with one of the first 20 serial numbers from IFG :devil: )

So can i run a base model witness slide in a Stock 1 frame? (say 9mm slide in my originally 10mm frame) or can i run a base model .40 barrel in my Stock 1? $80 for the 40 barrel from numrich is a lot better than $309 for a new Stock 1 barrel from EAA...

• 2 years later...

I have a 4 year old Witness Elite Match 9mm and am curious about getting a DA/SA in .40 S&W. 

I'd like to be able to swap uppers and lowers so as to use the Elite Match frame w a 40 upper for USPSA Limited and then the Elite Match 9mm slide w the DA/SA frame for production. I will also be using the Elite Match as it is from the factory for steel. 

I would appreciate some help as to which DA/SA Tanfoglio would be my best option to interchange w my Elite Match. 

Thanks for for the help and advice. 

IMG_0472.jpg

• 6 years later...

I’ve searched pretty deeply here, but still have questions…

I have a 2009 Elite Match in 9mm, and am shopping 10mm conversion kits, but unsure which ones are compatible with this frame.

As I understand it, my Match is a large frame, and has a 4.75” polygon-rifled barrel.

Since it has a shorter dust cover than say a Limited Master, and doesn’t have a bull/flared barrel, does that affect what top ends I can use?

Thanks for helping a newbie here!

On 10/2/2024 at 11:32 AM, dwmilton said:

I’ve searched pretty deeply here, but still have questions…

I have a 2009 Elite Match in 9mm, and am shopping 10mm conversion kits, but unsure which ones are compatible with this frame.

As I understand it, my Match is a large frame, and has a 4.75” polygon-rifled barrel.

Since it has a shorter dust cover than say a Limited Master, and doesn’t have a bull/flared barrel, does that affect what top ends I can use?

Thanks for helping a newbie here!

Talk to the folks at Patriot Defense. They can clear it all for you and get you the correct conversion Slide.