Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New IDPA Rule Book - ESR Division?

S&W686

Seems a little odd thet they would lower the PF or ESR when it already has lower Classification scores than SSR

On paper, lower classification scores = faster guns.

We can only assume that the new 155 PF will make the clipped ESR guns even faster.

I foresee the new Revolver division being ruled by the 625's.

Maybe this was a conscience decision by Berryville to throw a bone to all the downtroten 625 shooters who just got displaced by the 8 shot Minor guns in USPSA. Or maybe they are just ensuring that their pals at S&W have a market to keep selling JM 625s.

I agree. We shall see, but it seems like the 686, GP100 guys are screwed on this new rule. Moonclip with 155PF is gonna be a faster gun. 105 is too low to reliably knockdown steel, or knock it down fast enough, so I don't load lower than 125PF. 125 vs 155, not much of a difference.

Enhanced revolver sub-division.. 357mag, 155pf, moonclips.... Think maybe I'll send my 686 off to have the cylinder gun for moon clips.

8.2.5.2 Enhanced Revolver handguns permitted for use must be:

8.2.5.2.1 Any revolver that uses .357 magnum or larger cartridges with rimmed or rimless cases.

Nothing says real world like a 155pf 45acp.

He'll even 165 pf wasn't real world. just look at off the shelf non self defense ammo:

Fed american eagle 230gr fmj 204pf

Rem umc 230 fmj 192 pf

Win white box 230 fmj 192 pf

Cci blazer brass 230 fmj 190pf

Edited by Fordfan485

Nothing says real world like a 155pf 45acp.

He'll even 165 pf wasn't real world. just look at off the shelf non self defense ammo:

Fed american eagle 230gr fmj 204pf

Rem umc 230 fmj 192 pf

Win white box 230 fmj 192 pf

Cci blazer brass 230 fmj 190pf

Those power factors don't translate to revolvers. The cylinder gap really drains off velocity. Some years back I did chrono some factory 230 grain ball. I used Magtech, S&B and Wolf. They all made power factor but none close to the numbers published on the box. Wolf turned out to be the hottest. I have also read (and everything you read on the internet is true) that none of the factory ball could reliably make power factor in S&W Govenors. I agree that at 155 pf we are playing a game but with the 105 pf for speed loaders I'm not sure they can play nice together in the same division anyway.

I chrono'ed Federal American Eagle 230gr Ball in my 5-inch 625 when I was first working up my USPSA loads and made ~198PF. Even if we loose 100 fps going to and IDPA legal 4-inch 625 it would still make a 175PF. IMHO the 155PF is going to allow the 4-inch 625 to dominate the new combined division, but we need to start shooting it to find out for real.

My chrono numbers from a 4" 625 PC.

UMC 230 Grain bulk pack= 193 PF
Federal Champion 230 Grain small primer (Walmart red box load) =183 PF

165 PF was a gift. 155PF is has no basis in anything real.

I agree with MCB, but I'm not sticking around for the equipment race. I may come back after it's over, but I'm done at level 2 and up matches for the near term.

I may start an ICORE club. They just need to keep moonclips out of Classic.