Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a Tanfoglio Limited 40SW barrel fit a StockII in 10mm

HazB_Shootin

I'm considering getting a StockII in 10mm for Production; intending on swapping out the 10mm barrel with the 40SW barrel from my Tanfo Limited and shooting 40minor.

Only reason for getting the 10mm StockII is that is all I can find; but already have the Limited in 40SW and thought this might work. Both have bull barrels but there may be a slight length difference - I've seen the Limited barrel listed as 4 3/4" and the StockII barrel is usually listed as 4 1/2" but the StockII and the LImited just look like difference configurations of the same gun (Limited = Single Action, StockII = Double action and no holes in the frame).

Am I missing something? Has anybody tried this?

Alright, let set aside the fact that caliber swaps are not legal in Production. The Limited barrel will not lock up tight in the Stock II slide (I've tried it); the 4 3/4" Limited barrel is a cone which is the same diameter at the slide lock up as the 4 1/2" cone barrel of the Stock II, so 1/4" back on the cone the OD is smaller.

If you don't mind disregarding asinine rules in Production, I have a 9mm Stock II barrel which would work in your 10mm Stock II just sitting around gathering dust... :devil:

Yes, in theory there is potential for extraction issues/accelerated extractor wear with a 9mm case on a 40 breech, but I've never experienced any. My 9 barrel/40 slide trials have only been a few hundred rounds long, but I do have a friend who's shot a TS that way for over a year.

Edited by kneelingatlas