Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to mount a goldenrod?

I recently acquired a Browning gunsafe (it came with my house). I bought a goldenrod to put in it. HoweverI can't figure out how I'm supposed to plug the thing in, there does not seem to be a hole in the safe big enough for the cord to go through. The only hole I can find is a small threaded hole in the top that isn't big enough for the plug. So am I SOL on the goldenrod or am I missing something here?

Usually there's a hole in the back somewhere, sometimes covered by a cap. In any case it's not usually large enough for a plug. Go by the hardware store, get a length of line cord with a plug on it and a U-wire-it socket. Put small end of line cord through hole, wire on socket. Insulate as needed.

Do NOT cut a hole in the safe big enough for the plug. Buy an extension cord, cut the plug off, thread that through the existing hole and attach a new plug (available from any hardware store). My safe came with a 1/4" hole drilled near the bottom specifically for this purpose. You can also cut & replug the goldenrod cord itself, but you may find it convenient to had the extension cord outlets in the safe if you want to add a light inside the safe.

I recently acquired a Browning gunsafe (it came with my house).

If it's a mechanical lock, get a change key, read up on the forbidden zone and set a new combo. Carefully.

If it's electronic, check to see if the model has a non-alterable "management code". If it does, you will have to choose between purchasing a new lock and sharing the combination with the previous owners. If it does not, get the instructions to the lock (probably a LaGard or S&G) and set your own combo.

The manufacturer of Browning Safe products Pro Steel has a great customer care Dept.

For this or any other questions regarding your safe the number is:

(877) 501-7233

The combination supplied with mine wasn't right and they talked me through the solution process with ease.

Tom