Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

longshot powder

jnsnchzaz

I know it can easily be done with 40. I think my load was 6.4 grains with 180 grain pills. It's very loud and a lot more recoil than to regroup. Long shot is good for 40 and 10mm for full power hunting, self defense, teotwawki loads

Edited by ron169

Not sure what caliber you're thinking, but longshot was one of the powders I ran across as a recommendation for 40 major.

It made PF with ease and initial impression was that it was going to be an accurate load. But it also had the sharpest recoil I've ever felt from that particular gun. I don't mean by a little either. It was a whole order of magnitude harsher than the rest.

So yeah, as opposed to some powders that struggle to make major at maximum loads, longshot minimum loads will likely get you 181 PF or so. And leave you wondering how to tame the recoil :surprise:

Longshot was the powder I had on hand when I started handloading two years ago. Since then I have acquired more suitable 9mm powder.

I started at 4.7gr, Xtreme 124gr FP, 1.050in OAL and worked up to 5.0gr. The recoil was a slow and strong push if that makes sense compared to factory WWB and Magtech ammo. Didn't have a chrono at the time, so no data to share.

• 3 weeks later...