Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Adjustment -- Good or Bad?

Glocknewbie

I have reasonably tight and consistent groups, but they are consistently 1 or 2 inches left and slightly upwards of the 9 ring on a 25 yard slow pistal fire target.  After watching me for several practice sessions, the instructor at my range persuaded me to adjust the sights on my Glock 19.  This is better than the "Kentucky windage" approach, but I was initially very reluctant.  I felt that 1) seemed like cheating; I was worried that it was compensating for bad technique; and 2) that I would never be able to shoot any gun but my own.  The instructor's response was -- 1) people see differently, that's why they MAKE adjustable sights; 2) if you are primarily interested in combat shooting, you should stop fretting about having a group one or two inches off center of mass; and 3) stop overanalyzing this.  Any reactions?  Since adjustment, I am shooting dead on.

Without putting your gun in a machine rest and testing it you can't know for certain if the gun is shooting off center or if YOU are shooting the gun off center.  Well a top notch shooter could probably tell also but the point is that if you are consistantly grouping in the same spot and moving your sights moves that spot into the bullseye then why worry about it?  That is, as your range instructor pointed out, one of the functions of adjustable sights.

-jhgtyre

In rifle shooting, we routinely adjust our sights for different light conditions, different loads, different shooting positions...On one occasion, my coach had me changing my elevation by two clicks for my second string of rapid fire because he thought I had a tendency to shoot a little high on my second string.  Why?  I don't know.  Did it help?  I can't say for sure...but it didn't seem to hurt.  

Anyway, if you shoot nice tight groups, then whatever it is you are doing, you are doing it consistently, so making a mechanical adjustment to your gun is the easiest and best solution.  Otherwise you'd have to learn some new technique, and master it to the point you could consistently hit low and right relative to where you hit now.

If you really have to know, try different guns...it could be that your Glock barrel just locks up slightly out of alignment, or that the factory installed the sights slightly off.  Maybe the "problem" goes away with a different gun.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Whatever is happening is happening nice and consistently, so you did the right thing.

The accuracy specs on MOST "service" pistols are fairly generous and yours is well within spec at that distance.

In our zeal to improve, we sometimes forget that the machine can fail. I remember finishing a set of horrendous bowling pin runs where I controlled the trigger, called every shot and couldn't hit a pin to save my life. I just kept using ammo and getting madder and madder.

Finally I gave up and bagged the gun, and as I put it away noticed the rear sight was sliding back and forth in the notch with gravity.

Sometimes it is the gun.

SA

Where the sights are set when a pistol leaves the factory is of no significance to the new owner. Point of impact will change with load change, light conditions, grip strength and individual eyesight. Procedure is 1. start shooting groups. 2. adjust sights so that groups fall on desired impact point.

A machine rest will give an indication of the accuracy of the gun with a particular load but is not useful in assessing the individual shooter's point of impact.

If your now shooting groups in the bullseye then smile, be happy and stop worrying. All is well.

(Edited by George D at 9:25 am on Nov. 28, 2002)

My wife & I can't use the same sight settings. If she shoots my guns she hits low & right. If I shoot her guns I hit high left. I am right handed & she is a lefty.

You have adjusted your sights for yourself. Shoot center & be happy. :)

Bill Nesbitt

• 3 weeks later...

Richard Heinie is a designer and maker of sights, and generally considered the modern master in the art of pistolsmithing. According to Richard, "Every Glock I've ever seen has shot to the left with the rear sight centered on the slide." My own experiences shooting a variety of Glocks over the years agrees with this. Richard actually has the rear sight notch offset to the right on his Heinie fixed Glock sights so they can be centered on the slide and still hit point of impact/point of aim for windage.

Your hitting to the left at distance with an out-of-the-box Glock is normal. The first thing I did whenever I got a new Glock was knock off those fragile plastic sights and replace them with steel. Eventually I got to the point I could install them with the rear sight moved exactly the correct amount over to the right to hit spot-on, right off the bat, the first time I took the gun to the range to fire.

Duane

"the modern master of pistolsmithing"... sounds like a topic for the Flame wars.  Maybe "...a modern master", but  when you talk about combat 'smiths and the modern master, only one guy comes to mind and that is Armand Swenson.  There have been plenty of great ones after Armand, but he was the first Great combat 'smith.

IF you are TRULY shooting groups and not "patterns" then adjust the stinking sights.  that is what they are for. don't sweat "why" the group is where it is.  when you are shooting "groups" you are doing things correctly, sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc. adjust the sights and be happy with your centered shots.

SharonAnne L2387

If all guns came from the factory already sighted-in for whatever load was used, and whoever picked it up, there would be no need for adjustable sights.  Different ammo, lighting conditions, temperatures and the way you hold a particular gun enter into the picture, as do many other variables.  

So twist 'em to where they work for you, and have fun!