Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost of hardwoods

Had to build a custom cabinet to match our Maple kitchen cabinets. I was able to use Maple plywood for the bulk of it but I had to go to a specialty lumber yard for some Maple 1X6. Cost me $6.20 a foot! :surprise:

Had to build a custom cabinet to match our Maple kitchen cabinets. I was able to use Maple plywood for the bulk of it but I had to go to a specialty lumber yard for some Maple 1X6. Cost me $6.20 a foot! :surprise:

What grade did you get? 4A? That has the best grain, but also most expensive.

This was 4A for the body top. Cost me right around 6.25/bf for 2x8x16" planks.

Lang01_zpseb1435fb.jpg

Edited by Dranoel

I must have been 10A then. :roflol: Cost me 6.20 a foot for 1X6X8' But it looked as good as you posted. It was completely blemish free and straight as an arrow. That alone made it worth using. I haven't seen a straight board in years at HD or lowe's.

Edited by Sarge

I need to buy some hardwood (maple or oak), to make a loading stand for my Uberti Colt Walker. Now I'm prepared for the shock :surprise:

Oak is way cheaper AND available at stores. I use Oak for everything I build that needs to look god unless of course it's a maple cabinet.

Used to do high-end interior fabrication. Think anything from wood, clay, metal, stone in homes of people like Bill and Melinda. I was constantly blown away by the costs of materials, namely wood and fabrics/leathers. I have a sapele entertainment center, and the small ebony accents costs almost as much as the rest of the hardstock sapele. Yeah, and the stuff grows on trees too lol!