Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would this make a good starter 3gun rifle?

3djedi

Maybe. Depends on the match style and how "into" 3Gun you want to get. You can save some money by getting a better set of parts and either having built, or building part of it yourself.

I just got off the phone with a customer who told me about a video someone sent him. I just watched it...

Yep, he is right (sans the piston part)

Edited by MarkCO

As a starter rifle, it will definately get you going! I would agree with Mark though, it depends on how much you want to change right away. If you want to change a bunch of stuff right off the bat, building your own might be a better option. If you plan on only doing little things to start with, I don't see why this rifle wouldn't work, especially with the decent price.

I think it would be fine. I haven't shot one but all the major specs are there. There may be better stocks, muzzle breaks, triggers, ect but it should serve you well until you know what you want. Take the money you save and put it into a quality optic and ammo.

I actually thought about building because prices are so good right now. However, since I have no idea what is good or needed I think I Will probably waste more money building over buying the above rifle. In other words I would probably buy parts that I would end up replacing later, as in the above video, because I don't know what to get.

As for the rifle you listed. It may be a decent rifle. One of my employees bought that exact rifle last year about June. Guess what he is doing now, building a new one. There were too many things about it he didn't like or wanted to change.

Spend the time and do research. Go to your local gun shop and handle different rifles. Go to a local 3 gun match and ask to shoot some. Chances are they will let you. Building is much better than buying. You get what you want the first time.

I almost dare to say that your optic should cost more then this rifle if you want to shoot TO. If you buy a good optic then your are well on your way. If you want to shoot non-magnified you can save some money. the optic (in a good mount) and trigger will make more of a difference to you then anything else. I doubt you will see a difference between a .25 and a 2 MOA rifle in 80% of matches you will shoot. Yes there are better comps but that is an easy fit. The good part is you can build a rifle for the same or less and have exactly what you want. I suggest that you spend good money on the barrel when you build the rifle as that's what is going to make it shoot. Adjustable gas blocks are a nice touch, lightweight buffers and BCGs are cool but I don't think you will see a dramatic improvement if your just getting into things.... I say again that you will notice the optic and the trigger. Provided you know how or know someone that does, building a rifle is half of the fun.

Logan is right. If you show up to a match I will let you shot any of my guns if you brought decent factory ammo for them. I won't guarantee that they will be sighted in for it, but for most stuff will shoot close enough that it won't matter.