Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650- Indexer frozen up

My son, who has loaded pistol rounds with me before, came home from college and sat down and started pulling the handle on some 223. He forgot about pushing the handle to prime. He had run a couple through the powder drop before I shut him down. Subsequently I have about 50gr of H335 dumped into the machine. I took off the primer system and shell plate and blew everything out. Now the indexer ring runs stiffly and won't make a complete cycle.

What can I do to loosen it up short of taking it completely down? If I do need to take it all down I assume I'll need the alignment tool to get it back together correctly?

Sounds like you have the shell plate bolt too tight. One thing I have found is that when I adjust the main bolt so it indexes freely, then tighten the setscrew to secure it, it tightens up so I have to initially run the main bolt a bit loose so that when I tighten the set screw the tension is correct.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeppers...........I agree, check it out and make sure everything is clean and lubricated to include the bottom of the shell plate and the metallic indexing ball. Also, make sure the shell plate bolt is clean and lightly lubed.

Edited by mjohn

UGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, no more ideas. Reach for the help line Monday morning to Dillon is the best I can offer now.

Don't be embarrassed to tell them the complete story. :roflol: And don't start out with, "Some guy I know has this problem." lol

If that much powder got under the primer disc it will lock up too. Take the primer assy off and clean it up real good and see if that helps. With the shell plate off there is no reason it shouldn't turn otherwise.

1. Remove small spring that pulls the indexing ring back to the ready position.

2. Remove the shell plate, detent ball/spring, and index cam/spring.

3. Remove the two allen bolts that hold the head to the ram.

4. Remove the head from the ram.

5. Clean THOROUGHLY all of the powder that has spilled onto the top/bottom of the index ring and gunked everything up.

6. Lightly oil the index ring top and bottom.

Reverse assembly.

Will I need the alignment tool to get it back together?

You might try putting it back together and see how things line up. You might be able to eyeball it and get lucky. Easier just to call Dillon and ask for one. I got mine for free and use it every time I tear down that far.

Will I need the alignment tool to get it back together?

No - took mine apart all of the way down a couple of weeks ago due to a broken ring indexer. I called Dillon about the alignment tool, but was told I didn't need it. They said make sure that the platform clears the chute bin mount (note include the width of the case feed slide). I gave it about 1/32", tightend the platform bolts and its been good to go.

So, did you find what was locking up the press?

Yes. Apparently the precision mechanics of the 650 do not allow enough tolerance to digest 50 grains of ball powder. I went ahead and took off the platform and indexing ring and cleaned/relubed everything. Took a little effort to get it aligned but it wasn't too bad. Think I'm back in business.

Thanks for all the help!

For future reference:

I followed Brassaholic's takedown steps......well, except for step 1. The spring shot into the nether region somewhere. Still looking for it. Luckily I had one in the spare parts kit.

Step 1 is very important!

For future reference:

I followed Brassaholic's takedown steps......well, except for step 1. The spring shot into the nether region somewhere. Still looking for it. Luckily I had one in the spare parts kit.

Step 1 is very important!

I tried to tell you... That's why I put it as step 1... :devil: