Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make Versa Max shoot slugs straight

Trevarm

Well I received some advise from some people I highly respect and the cure is "bend the barrel".

They told me to use a 2x4 about 3 feet tall standing on end on concrete. You bump the barrel on the side where you want the poi to move to.

So POI right bump left side. POI high bump the bottom of the barrel.

Bump and check each time. I may do it this week.

• 1 year later...

A few things that really will effect your poi on a versamax (or any other shotgun).

One is a clamp between the barrel and mag tube. While these look cool, they really can cause problems with poi changing on slugs every time you remove and replace the clamp. You can hone out the area where it clamps to the mag tube so that it controls it, but is not actually clamped to it. I have seen this approach work.

Another is the tightness of the mag tube cap. Especially with the versamax, consistency in that tightness is important.

Lastly, on the Comp Tactical model. I really did not like the installed rear sight. Basically, it was a v style sight that the front bead fit into. For me, i did not like the way it allowed for error. So, I took a round file and changed the profile to more of a U shape. The bright bead now fits right in the U and doesn't allow for much error. This really helped keep consistent.

I too was having major issues with slugs out of both my tactical VM and my comp model, they were both high and right, after patterning them with birdshot I found that my POA and POI were quite a bit off. I used the shim that comes with the guns to adjust the cast and the drop on the stock and now my POA / POI are right on ( basically I used the holes to drop it, recoil pad lower, and when holding the gun to your shoulder it cants to your left) it worked great for my bird shot and the slugs are way better out to about 75 yards after that you still get a little deviation as Remington isn't noted for their super accurate barrels. I can now make most slug shots with ease but until I tried adjusting the stock I was considering switching shotgun brands. Now I will stick with the VM's for awhile as I have gotten too used to the ultra soft recoil. I should have said that everyone mounts the gun a little different, this is what worked for me but worth a try before " bending " any barrels -

Edited by Bradgsxr