Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL AP bullet die plastic tubing

mlritzi

I have just purchased a bullet die for my Hornady LNL AP press and read where you can buy plastic tubing to fit the die for your bullets instead having to buy the $250.00 bullet feeder machine from Hornady. I'm reloading 9mm, but can't seem to find plastic tubing to fit the die. I tried all the local pet stores, plus travel to the next town and visited their pet stores (because some one told me you can get the tubing at pet stores, (they are probable still on the floor laughing)). I tried to find some on-line but could not find any the size I need. Actually I did find a manufacture that makes it, but they want a minimum order of 100 4' long pieces. Does any one know where I might locate the tubing needed for a 9mm bullet to fit the Hornady die?

Thanks,

Miker

I believe this is what you want.

http://www.leesaqpet.com/browsecat/aquatic/tubing/thinwall-rigid-tubing/thinwall-rigid-tubing-7-16-x-36-detail

Lee 7/16 thin wall rigid tubing. Some aquarium stores have it, runs less than $5 if you can find it in store. It's on Amazon too, but you're going to get ripped in shipping.

Shipping is tolerable here, but it is out of stock

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-water-tubing/11442-504991/lees-thinwall-rigid-tubing-clear.html

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

You can also buy the lee case feeder tube set NS use it on top of the feeder die. This gives you a 4 tube rotating feeder. A couple plumbing fittings from the hardware store and you're good to go. Mine holds 120ish bullets before I need to refill. I use lengths or 1/2" cpvc pipe top refill a bunch of them like primer tubes and just dump them in the lee tubes when I get through the first round.

I put a 8" hose clamp around the lee and my powder measure to stabilize it but allow s it to still rotate to the next tube

Www.uplandsportsman.com

Introducing the Zero Interference Shotgun Sling, enjoy all day shotgun carrying comfort without a lighter gun.

It may also be cheaper to buy the extra case feed tubes from lee on amazon give it a look as well

Www.uplandsportsman.com

Introducing the Zero Interference Shotgun Sling, enjoy all day shotgun carrying comfort without a lighter gun.

Thank you all for all the good information.. my buddy has the Lee tubes which you described ( I wonder if I can talk him out of them). @robb315 - I have visited the Hornady link you posted and they show a link with participating dealers. I could not find a dealer within a hundred mile radius that carried the tubes.

Picked up some thin wall 1/2" steel tubing for mine. Hit it with the belt sander to bring down the OD slightly so that it fits in the appropriate die and drilled for pins. Was cheaper than shipping on the plastic tube and it's polished to a mirror shine.... always go for the sparkly 'cuz it's naturally faster. :)

377ecefb45060ada4c8f79420c884db6.jpg

This is how I've ran mine the last 15k rounds without issue. For the .40 a 3/4" PVC coupling fits over the die very snug. Put an inch of pipe in the coupling to extend the top of the die to the bottom of the tube. If you want you can add an inch of 1/2" cpvc inside of that to further reduce the inside diameter to almost .40

1/2" cpvc or pex is what I use for additional ore filled tubes just like a primer tube. The lee system holds roughly 120 and I prefill another 600 bullets in the tubes so I can sit down and run though all my primer tubes in about an hour. Refill everything while I'm watching tv

Www.uplandsportsman.com

You could probably just clamp the lee system right to the die but I wanted to be able to turn it and make adjustments to the die feed pressures

Www.uplandsportsman.com

Picked up some thin wall 1/2" steel tubing for mine. Hit it with the belt sander to bring down the OD slightly so that it fits in the appropriate die and drilled for pins. Was cheaper than shipping on the plastic tube and it's polished to a mirror shine.... always go for the sparkly 'cuz it's naturally faster. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try, and sparkly always works for me. Would that steel tubing be the same as 1/2" thin wall electrical conduit?

Mike

Wasn't conduit - stuff used for making high pressure rigid hoses. Comes in stainless steel as well as non-stainless. I got scrap box steel - was a lot cheaper than either. Though in truth - I think it was about $2/foot for the stainless steel so it isn't like it was going to break the bank anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

post-57372-0-45330400-1420947563_thumb.jAttached is a photo of the bullet feeder tube assembly I built from tubing I receive from Pet mountain supply in CA. The tubes work great, and hold approx 120 bullets.

Thanks for every ones suggestions.,

Mike

Seems pointless to have a powder check die when to hopper is empty! It looks good, nice work.

The next thing to do is buy a 10' piece of 1/2" cpvc pining and caps. Cut them to the same length as your setup and fill the bullets with pointed end first. Once your system is empty just use your spares to quick fill them and keep going.

Cpvc is only about 3.00/10' stick. I have about 35 feet of pipe I keep full so I never run out. I refill them while watching tv and then you're always ready to crank out 4-600 without touching a bullet

Www.uplandsportsman.com