Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New build shorty or full size?

Open1215

Hello: That comp you have shown is a big ass comp, old school for old power factor. There are much better designed comps out there, that are lighter work better and softer on the hand. I suggest you do a search on here. I do all the time since there is some very useful info. Thanks, Eric

I'm sure it's a balancing act really. Too much weight and its gets hard to point but absorbs received recoil. Too light and you have a gun that will point like a sport bike but may be too jumpy for some. Length has to have the same impact. You shorten then gun you loose recipracting mass but require more powder. So you may want to go with a better comp or steel over TI. I am sure that with cuts and holes and different materials 3 guns of different lengths may be very close in weight or have the same weight uppers all together.

The main reason 9x25 died was once the PF dropped you could get three or four more rounds in the magazine of a Super with the same weight bullets. Performance was similar enough that the recoil and flip advantage 9x25 had didn't offset the rounds. Wear and noise and blast contributed too, so once things were even close to parity, nobody built new ones and the old ones got rebuilt into Supers when they wore out... Somewhere around here is a 9x25 top end that was on a major gun company catalog cover gun in the mid 90s...

Nice! I think it would be a fun little project. Have the 10mm and offsprings.

I did try to set this up as a poll and I'm not really sure what happened.

I know the info on here could conflict and and have people go on for pages and pages of this is better or that is the best. I think I will go with 38 super for the 2011 and comp I have. Im not positive on size yet but I am leaning towards 4.5 inch. I may but a second kkm 9mm with a comp from binary for a 9mm maj. I liked 9maj in my glock but I have wanted a 38 super open gun for years now so I think I will be building a second one. But I really like the idea of not worrying about brass at all. Or I might just go 9mm after shooting 38 for a few months and looking for brass.

I remember my 1st shot with a 9x25. Wow, it was loud and it drove the gun down. The 9x25 would be fun at the velocities it can get and a 6" barrel would push the velocities even higher. Just remember, the 1911 was designed around a low pressure round and look how far it has come. What a great designed pistol.

I like my shorty Bedell. The comp cracked, and I had it converted to 9 with the Azone Gear comp. The extra weight makes it balance better. It is fast on target, and I don't mind the snappy recoil. The first open gun I had was full size with a heavy comp, and 7 ports for the old power factor. I would pick the shorty over the full size.