Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your dry fire routine?

Tuflehundon

With the holidays around the corner, and no matches for me for the next few weeks, I have found myself doing dry fire a lot more lately. Do you guys dry fire? And if so what's your routine?

I am lucky enough to work from home, so I have several hours during the day were no one else is home.

I start with my pistol only, and draw a single shots in my long upstairs hall way. Then I move into my office (adjacent to the hallway) were I have closer targets on the walls and will dry fire there and add movement and a reload as I go to the hallway and dry fire on that target. Then I do the same, but add the rifle into it (dry firing at targets in my backyard through the window with the rifle), will add a dump table and draw from my locked holster and dry fire in the hallway with my pistol. I have also been practicing load 2's and load 2's on the move (using dummy rounds of course). With the rifle / pistol section I will switch things up sometimes and start with the pistol dry firing in my office, dumping it there, and then transition to rifle and move through the house dry firing on targets as I go. I also will do reload drills with each gun using my timer and a par time.

What are you guys doing?

• 5 months later...

I had a 1 hour routine, 7 day a week routine that took me from B-Class to M-Class over the last year. Then I got tendonitis in my elbow and scaled back to 35 minutes a day and only 4 days a week. My current routine (which is basically a little more than half of my old routine) is this. I would love to hear feedback:

1) 10 draws (2 shots on one target) with hands at sides. I draw to the head box.

2) 10 draws (2 shots on one target) hands about shoulders. I draw to the head box.

3) 6 turn and draws (3 targets, 2 shots each). Draw and shoot the body of the targets. I vary the number of shots per target (1, 2, or 3) and sometimes just Bill Drill targets. I vary the position of the targets too (wide transitions, narrow, stacked targets, etc.).

4) Using two shooting boxes, engage 3 targets with 2 shots each and then reload on the way to the next shooting box where I reengage the same targets. Go back and forth until I go through all 5 mags on my belt. Do this 4 times. Vary the targets to get all different kinds of transitions. 20 reloads total. Most of the time I do this side to side. Rarely, I do it back and forth.

5) Same drill as Number 4, except that I do a standing reload. Go through every mag on my belt. Do this 3 times. Vary the targets to get all different kinds of transitions. 15 reloads total.

6) Draw, shoot a head box target 2 times, reload, shoot head box 2 times, reload, etc. until I go through all 5 magazines. I vary the type of draw. 25 reloads total.

7) Draw an empty gun, pull a mag at the same time and load the gun (including racking a round in the chamber). I will run through targets in different ways and vary the type of draw. I do this 12 times. On 4 draws I am standing still. On another 4 draws, I am moving right. On the last 4 draws, I am moving left. Sometimes I go forward and backwards too. Great gun handling drill.

8) I do about 16 draws from funky positions. For example, hands at surrender and then move into a shooting box backwards. Or simulate drawing with hands on a wall. Or draw and take off running fast at the same time.

9) I hold the gun up and take a perfect sight picture and try to make a perfect trigger press. Then I quickly rack the slide. This is a "two-fer" drill--trigger control and quick malfunction clearance. I do this 10 times (1 full magazine).

10) I practice slide lock reloads (hold the gun with the slide locked back, simulate 2 shots and then load the gun and let the slide go forward). I do this 5 times. Most of the time, I move while loading.

Note--I use three 1/3 sized targets and have dummy rounds in my magazines (no primers or powder) to get the weight correct. I also perform the above RANDOMLY but tend to do number 4 earlier in my session (this drill most simulates a stage and I like to do it cold).

I don't vary target distance very much because my room is small, but I do vary target distance a lot in live fire. I don't really run stages and just do that live fire.

Sometimes I mix other things in--table top reloads, shoot on the move, huge transitions, etc.. If I know I will see something weird in a match, I will practice it. I usually don't use the timer except for occasional "tests" to chart improvement.

I also removed strong hand and weak hand drills from my dry fire because this was really causing my tendonitis to flare up.

I am a beginner but dryfire 15-30 minutes every day. I am using Ben Stoeger's program from his book. At first I was just cycling through all the groups of drills, I would do the Learning Drills first every day then each day follow up with Marksmanship, Core, Field, or Short Course. After taking a lesson with a local GM, it became apparent that one of my big weaknesses was first shot hits, so I am setting a mini goal of working on 100% first shot off draw A zone hits @ 10 yards in 1.8s (I am sure that is slow but it is where I am). So I am going to adjust my dryfire to address this focus while still addressing those other categories.

I had a 1 hour routine, 7 day a week routine that took me from B-Class to M-Class over the last year. Then I got tendonitis in my elbow and scaled back to 35 minutes a day and only 4 days a week. My current routine (which is basically a little more than half of my old routine) is this. I would love to hear feedback:

1) 10 draws (2 shots on one target) with hands at sides. I draw to the head box.

2) 10 draws (2 shots on one target) hands about shoulders. I draw to the head box.

3) 6 turn and draws (3 targets, 2 shots each). Draw and shoot the body of the targets. I vary the number of shots per target (1, 2, or 3) and sometimes just Bill Drill targets. I vary the position of the targets too (wide transitions, narrow, stacked targets, etc.).

4) Using two shooting boxes, engage 3 targets with 2 shots each and then reload on the way to the next shooting box where I reengage the same targets. Go back and forth until I go through all 5 mags on my belt. Do this 4 times. Vary the targets to get all different kinds of transitions. 20 reloads total. Most of the time I do this side to side. Rarely, I do it back and forth.

5) Same drill as Number 4, except that I do a standing reload. Go through every mag on my belt. Do this 3 times. Vary the targets to get all different kinds of transitions. 15 reloads total.

6) Draw, shoot a head box target 2 times, reload, shoot head box 2 times, reload, etc. until I go through all 5 magazines. I vary the type of draw. 25 reloads total.

7) Draw an empty gun, pull a mag at the same time and load the gun (including racking a round in the chamber). I will run through targets in different ways and vary the type of draw. I do this 12 times. On 4 draws I am standing still. On another 4 draws, I am moving right. On the last 4 draws, I am moving left. Sometimes I go forward and backwards too. Great gun handling drill.

8) I do about 16 draws from funky positions. For example, hands at surrender and then move into a shooting box backwards. Or simulate drawing with hands on a wall. Or draw and take off running fast at the same time.

9) I hold the gun up and take a perfect sight picture and try to make a perfect trigger press. Then I quickly rack the slide. This is a "two-fer" drill--trigger control and quick malfunction clearance. I do this 10 times (1 full magazine).

10) I practice slide lock reloads (hold the gun with the slide locked back, simulate 2 shots and then load the gun and let the slide go forward). I do this 5 times. Most of the time, I move while loading.

Note--I use three 1/3 sized targets and have dummy rounds in my magazines (no primers or powder) to get the weight correct. I also perform the above RANDOMLY but tend to do number 4 earlier in my session (this drill most simulates a stage and I like to do it cold).

I don't vary target distance very much because my room is small, but I do vary target distance a lot in live fire. I don't really run stages and just do that live fire.

Sometimes I mix other things in--table top reloads, shoot on the move, huge transitions, etc.. If I know I will see something weird in a match, I will practice it. I usually don't use the timer except for occasional "tests" to chart improvement.

I also removed strong hand and weak hand drills from my dry fire because this was really causing my tendonitis to flare up.

This^.

Strong program: lots of trigger control, transitions, and reloads which are big parts of the uspsa game.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny I began an hour dry fire as well.

Now Thats what I do, and it +/- takes 1/2 hour. Results are seen after 2 month.

I have mini IPSC targets adn small redplates

Mine based soley in Ben Stoeger's book with a few alterations based on my needs. I shoot Open.

Each module is for a day, usually takes 1.5hrs to work on.

MY DRY FIRE TRAINING 2015

1: Marksmanship: Dist. Draw. Fs. Sho. Who.

Core Skills: Bill Drill, Reloads, Hopkins Drill

Field Course: Shooting while moving Easy, Hard

Short Course: Gun pick up, cond 2 pick up, Cond.3

2: Learning: Draw Component, Reload Component

Core Skills: 180* Trans. Easy. Hard

Field Course: Position entry Easy, Hard

Short Course: Seated start, Cond.1,2,3

3: Marksmanship: Partials

Core Skills: Plate rack FS. SHO. WHO.

Field Course: Position Exit Easy, Hard

Short Course: Barricade, Cond.1,2,3

4: Practice stage, match

5: Marksmanship: Dist. Draw. Fs. Sho. Who.⬆️

Core Skills: 90* Trans. Easy. Hard

Field Course: Quick Step, Hi Port Entry

Short Course: Prone

6: Core Skills: Hopkins Drill,

Core Skills: El Prez., turning drw. One handed Shooting SHO WHO

Short Course: Low Port Entry,

Short Course: Up n Down trans. Qck steps dist plate

7: Marksmanship: Partials⬆️Reload⬆️

Core Skills. Widening Trans. Dist change-up

Field Course: Barricade Entry. Exit.

Short Course: Prop manipulation. Cond.1,2,3

8: Practice stage, match

• 3 months later...

My dry fire is 35 different target set ups.

30 I do single reloads

4 I do two reloads

1 is a 3 reloads.

I do four strings. 1: facing down range hands at sides. 2: facing down range hands over shoulders. 3: facing up range hands at sides. 4: facing up range hand over shoulders.

I do all of it once with production set up first. Then I do it with my limited set up.

320 reloads in an hour. It turns into an actual workout.