Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet diameter?

Hammbone

I've been reloading for about 3yrs now. I've played around with various bullets. Mostly plated and epoxy coated (i.e., Bayou's). I have exclusively been shooting the epoxy coated leads for the past 2yrs. More specifically, I've been shooting 135gr ø .356" epoxy coated lead with a Brinell Hardness of 17. My bullet supplier has oversized bullets available and says some guys are getting better accuracy out of ø .357" or even ø .358" in the 9mm semi-autos. I have an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match. I'm curious if any of you reload 9mm for a Witness and if so, do oversized 1) work? 2) improve accuracy?

Edited by Hammbone

normally .357" for me
but if it will chamber ill use .358"
but you really have to watch your expander plug to make sure its getting deep enough
i have a range bud of mine who works at a hard chrome shop do some expander plugs for me
IMG_20141117_131504.jpg

I picked up .001- .002" and got a very smooth expansion
that will last my lifetime even on steel cases
the darn things are so smooth you can hardly pick them up

Edited by guncheese

Okay, I have to admit ignorance here. I've been actively shooting and reloading for only about 3 yrs and this concept of an expander plug is a new one for me. How exactly does it work? I assume you basically "swage" the chamber larger to accept a larger diameter cartridge, due to using a larger diameter bullet as per allowed by barrel based on measurements taken after slugging the barrel? (Assuming the diameter bullet required by slugging doesn't chamber?)

I reload 9mm and 45ACP.

Bullets need to be oversized a little so they can fill the barrel.

To that end my 9mm are sized to 0.357".

The 45 ACP is sized to 0.451". (this is because I'm lazy and that doesn't shave the coating. Plus they shoot great).

For most about 0.002" over will be about right. The one thing that will not work well is a perfectly sized bullet to barrel. The reason is you will get gas blow-by and the velocity will fall off. Tried it and failed to meet any velocity requirements.

I reload 9mm and 45ACP.

Bullets need to be oversized a little so they can fill the barrel.

To that end my 9mm are sized to 0.357".

The 45 ACP is sized to 0.451". (this is because I'm lazy and that doesn't shave the coating. Plus they shoot great).

For most about 0.002" over will be about right. The one thing that will not work well is a perfectly sized bullet to barrel. The reason is you will get gas blow-by and the velocity will fall off. Tried it and failed to meet any velocity requirements.

How do get blow by if the bullet is exact diameter to the barrel ? Some barrels are different I thought. A nine barrel can be .357 in actuality. So if you sized a 9 to .357 that's the same size as the barrel Edited by Scootertheshooter

Thanks for all the help guys. I just acquired a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible... with plans to shoot 9mm with it. The only beef some people have is that they're not as accurate with 9mm as they are .357. The guys who reload have no problems as long as they use .358 9mm bullets. I'd "like" use the same bullets in the Blackhawk and Witness. I just slugged my Witness tonight and it measures right at .356". Chamber measures .384". Looks like .358" bullets may work just fine. Thoughts?