Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight concerns with my shadow setup

tbarker13

I have an Accu Shadow with fully-adjustable LPA sights.

It has the thick Double Alpha grips.

Stainless Mecgar mags with Springer Precision basepads.

I weighed the gun (with empty mag) last night and come in at 43 1/2 ounces.

I'm worried that I might be pushing the 44 ounce Production limit for this particular gun.

The easiest way to shed weight would be to switch to lighter grips - these Double Alphas weight about 3 ounces.

The only problem is that I really like thicker grips.

Wondering if anyone else is running a similar setup - and if you've ever run into problems when the gun is weighed at matches.

I'm using what I believe to be a pretty good scale.

One thought was that at the next major match I attend, I would head straight to the chrono to ask if I could weigh the gun on their scale - before I start shooting.

I could bring a lighter set of grips or a polymer guide rod - just in case it turns out my own scale is off.

Have a very similar setup, and I'm actually surprised you're still under weight. I had to use the shockbottle base pads because the Springer ones would have put me a touch over the limit. Ready to race, I'm at 43.6 ounces with the shockbottle pads on an empty mag...the Springers are, IIRC, .406 oz heavier, so that would have put me at 44.06 oz with a spotlessly clean gun...not a recipe for happiness at the weigh-in.

One difference is I'm using the CZC nickel-plated mec-gars....maybe they weigh a lot more? One of those mags, with the shockbottle base pad and velcro grip tape is 3.8 ounces. How much did your stainless mec-gars weigh?

Also, my thick DAA's were 3.2 ounces, so maybe I got a "fat" set if yours are only 3.

post-38608-0-13740600-1418763533_thumb.j

Have a very similar setup, and I'm actually surprised you're still under weight. I had to use the shockbottle base pads because the Springer ones would have put me a touch over the limit. Ready to race, I'm at 43.6 ounces with the shockbottle pads on an empty mag...the Springers are, IIRC, .406 oz heavier, so that would have put me at 44.06 oz with a spotlessly clean gun...not a recipe for happiness at the weigh-in.

One difference is I'm using the CZC nickel-plated mec-gars....maybe they weigh a lot more? One of those mags, with the shockbottle base pad and velcro grip tape is 3.8 ounces. How much did your stainless mec-gars weigh?

Also, my thick DAA's were 3.2 ounces, so maybe I got a "fat" set if yours are only 3.

Hmmm. I think I'm using the nickel plated mags as well. (Not sure why I called them stainless).

Thinking I better make sure that scale is properly calibrated. I'll weigh one of the mags tonight to see where I'm at with that.

Edited by tbarker13

Polymer guide rod is the first option that comes to mind as others have mentioned. If you wanted to try and get crafty, you could add some lightening cuts to the inside of your thick grips in areas that don't contact the frame (so as to not screw with fitment). Just an idea