Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Chicago, Illinois

BluePuma

Long time lurker <and shooter> in the Chicago, Illinois area. My bro and I have been shooting a long time, me starting back in the military, and him just a lot better than me. We always only shot for leisure, and was never really competitive about it. I took a long hiatus from shooting at all a number of years ago, but now got back into it over the past 2-3 years.

Both he and I are looking to get into a little competition, both handgun and maybe 3 gun this year, if we can find both the time and the matches near us.

Sadly, the Chicago area is a little hard to find places to shoot, but we try and get out as often as we can.

Now I just need to find an appropriate competition pistol!

Hey Blue, there are lots of places to shoot around here! Just... not so much during the winter. However, there are a few options -- McHenry IPSC has an indoor match Wednesday nights (http://miss-uspsa.blogspot.com/) and I think Bill Zeller runs a couple stages in Lombard during the winter too. You can also hike out to Pine Tree in Rockford.

Once spring arrives, there are lots of options -- Oak Park near Joliet, or if you're on the north side, Schultz and NISA up in Wisconsin every other Sunday.

Good luck

I was considering joining Aurora Sportsmens'. It is kind of a long drive from downtown for me and my brother, but I am not sure we have a better alternative closer to where I live. I like to dry fire, but....My new years resolution is to shoot more.

Depends on your desired level of involvement. Last year I didn't like the idea of driving more than 1-1/2 hrs to a match, this coming season, I've burnt so much ammo practicing that I really can't even justify it unless I'm hitting every match inside of 3 hours that I can. Oh and welcome to the forums!

I'm not really worried about driving to competitions. I'd really like to find a good place for my bro and I to practice. Fortunately, I work for myself, so I can get out during the week when I am not busy. Aurora Sportsmans seems good and has a long range so I can goof around with my 30.06, and tons of shotgun stuff, but I don't know that much about the place other than that. Might give them a call in the next week or two and take a trip out and check it out.

I'm probably also going to order a new pistol this week; there are some good deals floating around on some entry level pistols.

Edited by BluePuma