Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hoser rifle set up

dauntedfuture

Gents,

I am considering building a spare carbine into a short range hoser rifle. Right now it has 16" carbine gas barrel and carbine buffer system along with a few other items. It will soon have an adjustable gas block, LM BCG and taccom ULW buffer. I plan on loading very light loads for the rifle, like 3 gun nation light loads.

All things equal I should think that I will be able to load lighter loads with a carbine length gas then I will with a mid or rifle gas. Does anyone have experience with light loads in carbine vs. mid vs. rifle gas.

Thanks

Edited by dauntedfuture

The pressures developed by the cartridge should be sufficient to cycle the action regardless of system length. As long as you stick to SAAMI guidelines for minimum powder charge, you should be good. You will notice a significant reduction in perceived recoil impulse going to a longer-length gas system. You might also consider an adjustable gas block (MicroMOA, JP, etc.) to further tame the recoil.

I would take heed of Mark's suggestions. This ain't his first rodeo. I have a 14.5" midlength-gas barrel, fixed gasblock, LM Young Mfg BCG, and empty rifle buffer that is running great. I need Mark to trade me a Gas Hog for Rolling Thunder though...

Thanks for the help... So my question is:

"All things equal I should think that I will be able to load lighter loads with a carbine length gas then I will with a mid or rifle gas. Does anyone have experience with light loads in carbine vs. mid vs. rifle gas."

The 16" carbine gas barrel I have is ho-hum so it might go away and be replaced.

A lot of it is going to depend on powder choice and what loads you end up with. Some of the "go fast" parts are intended to reduce issues related to over gassing in reduced mass systems running 55s between 2900 and 3100 fps. If you are going towards light loads, some of those parts become a waste because you are reducing the gas volume through a reduced powder charge. That powder should really be a fast powder. Then realize you don't want to run more than a few normal loads through that set-up. If you use a fast powder in carbine length, you have the potential to screw up dwell issues and early unlocking since you have a bullet going say 600 fps slower than normal. I prefer a mid-gas 16" barrel as it is the easiest to get tuned in well and not have to worry about case ruptures and other timing issues.